Sunday, May 3, 2015

What Did I Plant?

Spring is finally here, which means it's time to plant a garden!  I have learned that the only thing that ever grows in our garden seems to be herbs.  So instead of trying to plant vegetables that I know won't grow, I went with herbs.

Along with my poor cooking skills, I also lack the ability to differentiate between herbs.  Parsley and cilantro look exactly the same to me.  So to help me remember what I planted, I made some handy rock markers.  It was very easy and will be very helpful once the herbs actually grow.  

After I planted the seeds, I used the empty seed packet to mark where the rocks would go.


Then I gathered the materials I would need for the project:

-River rocks
-Paint Pen
-Clear Protective Spray Paint

We have a bunch of river rocks along our fence, so I wandered back there and picked out some rocks.  I tried to pick ones that were longer and flat on the bottom.  



Once I had my rocks picked out, I brushed off any dirt that was on the top of them.  I didn't worry about getting them too clean since they were going back in the dirt.  I used a navy paint pen and my best cursive to write the name of each thing I planted.  



After that I put a coat of clear protective spray paint on each rock.  I'm not sure how well the spray paint will work, but the project didn't cost me any money.  So if the paint wears off, I can just flip the rocks over and put them back by the fence where I found them.  But I think they'll hold up and be a handy reminder of what's planted where.  


Now I'll just have to wait for rain and sunshine!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!