Monday, December 14, 2015

Under The Sink Gets An Overhaul

Under my sink was starting to get a little messy.  There were all kinds of bottles, many of them almost empty.  Plus, there was a lot of random stuff in there that didn't need to be housed under the sink.    


It was also pretty dark underneath there.  The previous homeowners had painted the inside of the cabinet a dark brown.  So, it was a bit like looking into a cave when trying to find anything under there.  


I wanted to lighten things up under there, clear out the clutter and organize what was left.  The first thing I did was clear everything out.  


Then I needed to work on lightening things up.  I decided to put some vinyl peel and stick tiles on the bottom of the cabinet.  This would help make it brighter and it would also make it just a bit nicer to look at when I'm rummaging around for cleaning supplies.  

It was pretty simple to put the tiles in.  I marked on the back of the tile where I needed to make any cuts. Then I used a metal ruler as a straightedge to run a utility knife along to make my cuts.  


After I scored it a few times, it was very easy to bend the tiles and break off the part I didn't need.


Once my tiles were cut to size, I peeled off the paper backing and stuck them on the bottom of the cabinet.  Adam helped me out and, of course, made things much easier with his expertise.  Jazzy approved of our work. 


Once all the tiles were in place, I got to work organizing the supplies that were going back in the cabinet. I put all the supplies I use daily in the big basket on the right.  When I'm cleaning a bathroom upstairs, I can simply grab the basket and bring it with me and have everything I need in one place.  Other supplies that I don't use all the time are housed in the smaller baskets on the left and the little shelf.  I keep any extra supplies in the back of the cabinet.  I used a tall glass to house a water bottle brush.  And I had to make sure the fire extinguisher was front and center.  Mr. Safety requires it to be in reach should any fires occur in the kitchen.  


The last thing I added were some gloves and sponges to the basket on the door.  I must say, it brings a little smile to my face when I look under the sink now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!