Sunday, October 2, 2016

C'mon Letrozole!

Call us crazy.  Adam and I have decided to try yet another IUI before taking the plunge and doing IVF.  Our thinking is that if we do have to move on to IVF, we can rest assured that we exhausted all our other options.  This will be our 6th IUI.  While we're not new to the IUI process, I am taking some different medication this time around.  

I've taken Clomid in conjunction with our previous IUIs.  It's a pretty common fertility drug that stimulates your ovaries to produce multiple eggs, which increases your chances of getting pregnant.  While many women have success with this drug, it hasn't helped me out.  Among many of the godawful side effects, vision changes can occur.  The last time I took Clomid, I ended up with some temporary vision changes. There was a blurry spot in my left eye.  It wasn't very noticable, and thankfully my vision has since gone back to normal, but my doctor didn't want to take any more chances this time around.  

So I took letrozole this time around.  After reading the pamphlet that came with the perscription and finding that it's most commonly used as a breast cancer treatment drug, I got a bit worried about what I was taking.  I decided not to think too much about it and just listen to my doctor.  I took it for five days and was pleased to find that I didn't experience the extreme side effects I experienced when taking Clomid.  I had some hot flashes and my stomach felt fuller (especially when Jazzy walks across my stomach).  But no crazy mood swings.  Thank goodness!  

The next step in the process is to go in for an ultrasound to check the growth of my follicles.  This will happen next week and I am hoping to have a good number of follicles of the right size.

I'm feeling really positive this time around.  We switched infertility clinics and have a much better feeling about the doctors and nurses at this clinic.  We are also using different medication, which we're hoping will yield different results.  

While I adore my sweet little family, I'd be thrilled with the opportunity to add a baby to it.  Until then, I'll just enjoy the time I get to spend with Adam and Jazzy.  


Feel free to send any positive thoughts, prayers or good vibes our way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!