Monday, July 30, 2018

How To Clean A Corian Sink

Our kitchen sink is a white Corian sink.  I hate it.  It's darn near impossible to keep looking clean, even if it is clean.  It came with the house and I have tried and tried to find a cleaner that keeps it looking white instead of dingy and dirty.  

When we moved in, there was a little bottle of cleaner under the sink made specifically for cleaning Corian surfaces.  I used it once and the fumes from it just about knocked me over.  It literally burned my lungs.  It actually worked really well, but I decided I probably shouldn't use it.  Anything that potent can't be healthy.  So I set about on a quest for finding the perfect cleaning solution.  I tried just plain soap and water with a lot of elbow grease.  Adam thought to try toilet bowl cleaner and that did well until we switched to a greener, less toxic toilet bowl cleaner.  

So then I set about trying to find a non-toxic cleaning method, especially with Archer and Lyla's little lungs in the house now.  My standard cleaning solution of baking soda and vinegar didn't work.  So I did some research and baking soda and hydrogen peroxide kept coming up.  So I decided to give it a go.  Let me tell you, it worked wonders!  

Here's what I was working with before trying out the cleaning method.  


I typically only use the left side of the sink.  I always rinse it off and clean it with dish soap on a regular basis, but it was still just dirty-looking.  


On a side note, Lyla was quite curious as to why I was standing on a stool and peering into the sink.  She's a blogger in training. 


I collected my supplies.  All you need to make the cleaning solution is some hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, a bowl, and a spoon.  


I started by adding some baking soda into the bowl.  I probably used about a 1/4 cup of it.  Then I added in little bits of hydrogen peroxide and stirred until the mixture was the consistency of toothpaste.  At one point it got a little too runny, so I just added in some more baking soda.  


Next, I smeared my mixture onto the stains on the sink.  I started using a spoon to smear it on, but ended up just using my fingers.  Then I let it be for about an hour.  I hadn't intended to leave it on there for quite that long, but I got distracted with the babies and lost track of time.  I was planning to let it sit for about 20 minutes.  So I can only speak to its effectiveness if you leave it sitting for an hour.


The final step was to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and scrub the cleaner around the sink.  (I always cut my erasers in fourths so I can throw away the smaller section after I use it.)  I didn't add any water, I just used the mixture.  I made sure to clean all the way up the sides of the sink, too.  


I was left with a sink that looked much cleaner!  It wasn't perfectly glistening, but it looked a heck of a lot better than it did.  And it didn't take much to make it happen.  Plus, I felt a lot better knowing the cleaning method didn't involve any harsh chemicals or fumes.  Gotta love a simple cleaning fix!   


2 comments:

  1. I’m going to try it today. Ours is a bone colored sink.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts!