Monday, August 13, 2018

One Year!

Wow!  Lyla and Archer's first year sure did come and go rather quickly!  It's almost as if I blinked and now they are almost toddlers! 


They are both getting to be so old!  They babble and stare so intently at me as they do.  It seems like we are having conversations all day long.  You can tell they are truly trying to be heard.  They can both tell us that a cow says "Mmmmmm."  They can both say "Momma," "Dada," "Jazzy," and "Nana."  They both know that "Night, night," means it's time for a nap or bedtime and can say "Ni, ni." 


They are both continuing to get around very quickly!  Archer is doing more walking and probably spends more time walking than crawling these days.  Lyla is still content to crawl or cruise around furniture.  They can both crawl up and down the stairs with ease.  Lyla is so funny when she gets ready to go down the stairs.  She turns around and starts backing up by scooting on her stomach a good 3 or 4 feet before the stairs.  Sometimes she gets hung up on the wall or even ends up in the laundry room! 

They love to eat and enjoy all types of food!  They aren't crazy about bell peppers and Archer isn't a big fan of hard-boiled eggs.  But other than that, they are pretty easy to please in the food department.  They've mastered sippy cups, though Archer sometimes forgets to swallow all the water in his mouth and just lets is pool out the side.  The front of his shirts are always wet these days! 


Lyla has developed a deep love for Elmo and can even say "Elmo."  She also loves dolls and has a special fondness for a weird looking Cabbage Patch/ladybug combo of a doll.  She gives them lots of kisses all day long.  She also loves to give me kisses.  Though recently some of her kisses have ended in bites.  I am now a bit leery when she comes at me with a kiss.  She also has a passion for reading books.  9 times out of 10, she heads for the basket of books in her room when she makes it upstairs.  She is also doing more reading these days than chewing on the corners of her books. 


She also adores looking at photographs, especially ones of people she knows.  She constantly wants to be held up so she can look at the photographs in the hallway, on the fireplace mantel, and on the fridge.  She points and talks about each photo.  As cute as she looks in pictures with her bows on, she hates to wear them.  She rips them out of her hair immediately.  So we are in a constant hair bow battle that she usually wins.  Lyla learned her first body part, her tongue.  So I can ask her where her tongue is and she'll stick it out.  When I get her out of her crib after a nap or in the morning, she sticks her tongue out at me when I walk in and then I stick my tongue out at her and we both laugh and laugh.  It's our thing.
   

Lyla is such a sweetheart, but is also incredibly strong-willed and independent.  She likes things her way and can be stubborn when she doesn't get what she wants.  She has quite the high-pitched screams that literally leave my ears ringing.  She's lucky she's so cute.  

Archer is enjoying the freedom that walking brings.  He toddles around like a little, drunk man.  He's pretty steady on his feet and does a good job of falling on his hands when he feels unsteady.  He knows to step over the lip on the gate and still crawls down the stairs.  I am very scared for the day when he feels brave enough to walk down the stairs!  


He still loves his Momma and likes to be held.  He gives me tons of kisses each day and loves to give me hugs.  And he still gets very upset when I leave the room.  So I have to do a lot of sneaking out when I need to go to the bathroom or fold some laundry.  He also loves to play with his wooden blocks.  He's getting better at stacking them on top of one another and still loves to bang them together. 
     

Archer got his first haircut this month!  His bangs were getting into his eyes, so I trimmed them while Adam distracted him with food.  I definitely don't have a future as a hairdresser, but if you sweep his bangs to the side he looks pretty darn handsome!  


I still feel so incredibly lucky I get to be Archer and Lyla's mom.  I still find myself crying happy tears at least once a day at the sheer joy of getting to do this job.  I know this is the best thing I will ever do in my life and I am soaking up every second of it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!