Friday, July 8, 2022

10 Books to Read This Summer

I adore reading books.  Reading is in my blood.  My mom read to me as a kid and took me to our public library.  I would shove my pillow in the crack at the bottom of my door so I could keep my light on and read when I was supposed to be sleeping as a kid.  I worked at my local public library in high school and college.  When I was a teacher, my most favorite part of the day was during our read aloud time.  I went on to teach middle school reading.  I still read every single night before I go to bed.  Like I said, I adore reading.  The only thing better than finding a good book to read is to tell someone else about it so they can enjoy it too.  

I check out the majority of the books I read from my local public library.  If I do end up buying a book, I try to find it at a local bookshop or buy it through bookshop.org, which is an online bookstore that supports local bookstores.  

So here are a few books to add to your summer reading list: 


A husband loses his wife and turns to doomsday prepping to fill his time.  A daughter loses her mother and is struggling to find herself.  Despite its depressing set up and title, it's actually incredibly heartwarming.
    

No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper
This book is centered around a shooting that happens at a bar and is told from several different perspectives.  It really touches on the humanity that connects us all.  


The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth 
This is a thriller of sorts told from two different points of view that keep you guessing the whole time.  Fern relies on her sister Rose to help keep her life neatly-ordered.  Rose is struggling to get pregnant.  Fern sees a way to help Rose realize her dream of having a baby.  Which one ends up being the good sister?   


Consumed by Aja Barber
This is an eye-opening nonfiction book that pulls back the curtain on the fast fashion industry.  The author helps the reader understand how colonialism, climate change and consumerism all intersect and the role we as consumers play in the whole mess.  What I love most is that the author also gives specific, actionable steps we can all take to combat the fast fashion industry.  Despite being a heavy topic, the author presents it in a way that's interesting. 


An atheist lesbian winds up working as a receptionist at a Catholic church.  The previous receptionist was murdered and the new receptionist tries to figure out what happened.  I love how this charming book tries to point out that we're all more similar that we might believe. 


Clean by James Hamblin
This nonfiction book looks at our obsession with being "clean."  The author interviews dermatologists, allergists, beauty industry experts and also explains about our skin microbiome.  What could be an incredibly boring topic is actually very intriguing.  After reading it, I certainly feel better about my minimal skincare routine! 
   

Meet Me in the Margins by Melissa Ferguson
If you are looking for a sweet, wholesome romance set in the book publishing world, here it is!


The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward 
A mom wins a trip on a cruise ship and brings along her three adult children.  Family drama and antics ensue.  This was a funny, enjoyable read! 


We Are Not Like Them by Christine Pride & Jo Piazza
Riley is a Black television journalist.  Jen is white and married to a police officer involved in the shooting of an unarmed Black teenager.  Riley and Jen are best friends.  This novel is told from both of their perspectives and it's powerful.


Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
Ruth returns to her parents' home when her father starts to suffer from dementia.  While it seems like it might be a depressing book, it's actually pretty funny and heartwarming.  Plus, the author's writing style really drew me in. 

Now it's your turn!  Give me your book suggestions please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!