Monday, September 14, 2015

It's Electric!

I am fully charged now, thanks to my latest acupuncture session.  That's right.  Dr. Mary used electricity in conjunction with my usual needles.  I was a bit scared of the idea when Dr. Mary briefly mentioned that she could try using "an electric needle."  I put the thought out of my mind until she announced that she would try it at my last appointment.  

I guess it works best if you have it done a day before you ovulate.  The timing was right and last week I gave it a go.  When I first came in, I asked Dr. Mary if it would hurt.  I had visions of electroshock therapy running through my brain.  She told me that it wouldn't; It would just feel like someone was repeatedly tapping me.  She also told me that it would offer the power of a race car driving at 300 miles per hour. The comparison was a little lost on me, but I figured she knew what she was talking about.  After all that chit chat, she told me to give her a few minutes so she could get her "machine" set up.  I still wasn't convinced that it wouldn't hurt.

So I put on my brave face and watched as she stuck 10 or so needles in my stomach.  Then she put alligator clips with wires attached to the machine on 6 of the needles.  Once I was all hooked up, she started turning some knobs.  It didn't exactly hurt, but it wasn't very pleasant either.  It kinda felt like someone was repeatedly poking me with a dull pencil.  She told me she would leave me and come back to check on me in about 10 minutes.  

After she left, as I was trying to convince myself I could handle this for 10 minutes, the poking stopped and the machine started beeping.  I had a mild heart attack.  I was worried the wires got crossed somehow and the whole thing would explode.  I couldn't exactly move with all the needles, but I figured this was not how things were supposed to be going.  Luckily, Mary has a very distinct walk and I called out her name as I heard her walk by in the hallway.  She heard me and came inside to check on me.  

Turns out the battery was dead.  So, after the battery was replaced, the poking continued.  It really wasn't that bad.  Eventually, I got used to it and it started to feel numb.  Those 10 minutes didn't exactly fly by, however.  

I ended up with a little bruise in one of the spots and my stomach felt like I had done a bunch of crunches the next day.  But it will all be worth it if it results in a healthy pregnancy.  Hopefully it does the trick this month!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!