Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A READ! Wreath

I recently found some cheap foam wreaths at an estate sale.  Today, I decided to whip up a rag wreath for my classroom door.  I wanted it to go with the overall classroom theme and promote reading.  

Here are the materials I used:


-9 inch foam wreath
-1/3 yard of 3 different coordinating fabrics
-1 yard of ribbon
-Mini Chalkboard frame (I used one of these.)
-Chalk Marker
-Scissors
-Glue gun

The first thing you do is cut the fabric into about 1 inch strips.  I just laid out the fabric and left it folded in half like it comes off the bolt so you can cut two strips at once.  Don't worry about measuring, just eyeball it.  


Cut strips from each of the fabric selections.  You'll want to pick 3 fabrics that go well together, but aren't too matchy-matchy.  Once you've got all your strips cut, you're ready to start tying the strips on the wreath.  


Wrap each strip around the wreath and tie it with a knot.  


After you tie a few strips on, then you'll want to squish them together so you can't see the wreath peeking out.  Like so...


Jazzy was kind enough to help me out by attacking one of the strips.  What a big help she is.  


Here's what the wreath looks like once all the strips are tied and smashed together.  


Use the ribbon to tie a bow so you'll be able to hang your wreath.  


Then, use the chalk marker to write on the mini chalkboard.  I wrote "READ!" on mine since it's going on my classroom door.  You could write whatever you want, like "Welcome" or even your last name.  


I used a leftover strip of fabric and hot glued it on the back of the mini chalkboard so I would be able to tie it on the wreath.  


Here's the final wreath!  


I adore this wreath!  It was so simple to make and makes an excellent addition to any door.  I've made several of these wreaths for different holidays, like the one I made for Independence Day.  Now I have one for my classroom door!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!