Friday, October 7, 2016

Pushing the Trigger

Yes, I do mean pushing and not pulling the trigger.  The trigger I am referring to is the trigger shot I had to give myself the other day.

Allow me to back up and explain everything.  I recently shared how Adam and I will be doing our sixth IUI this month.  We are trying out some different medication this month and have a very positive outlook, which we are hoping will result in a healthy pregnancy.  

I went in for an ultrasound of my follicles a few days ago.  Follicles are basically sacs in your ovaries that could produce an egg.  An ultrasound is done to check out how many follicles you have and to measure their size.  I am happy to report I had a great-looking follicle with the right measurements.  I had two other smaller follicles, but they weren't as big as we'd like them to be and won't likely produce any eggs. But all you need is one good one.  Since it looked like my follicle was ready to go, the doctor told me to give myself an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation that evening.  

While I can't think of many people who are big fans of needles, I am especially scared of them.  I am a wreck anytime I have to get my blood drawn or get shots.  So the thought of having to not only get a shot, but administer it to myself was enough to make me very jittery.  I did give myself a trigger shot the last time we did an IUI, so I had a little experience.  It wasn't that bad, but the thought of having to do it again was still scary.  

When I went in for my follicle ultrasound, one of the nurses was kind enough to show me exactly what to do when giving myself the shot.  Basically, you just pinch the fat on your belly, stick in the needle, let your skin go, push the plunger, let it sit for 10 seconds and then pull it out.  The nurse made it seem very simple and I felt like I could handle it when I left the office.  

I had orders to give myself the shot that evening.  So I laid everything out and tried to work up enough courage to go for it.   


I let the shot sit on the table for 10 minutes to come to room temperature since it was being kept in the fridge.  The more I looked at it, the more daunting it seemed.  But eventually I worked up enough courage to just do it.  

And honestly, I didn't even feel the needle go in.  I could tell where I had given myself the shot, but it didn't hurt at all.  I had gotten myself all worked up for nothing!  

Next up is the IUI!  Adam and I are in good spirits and very hopeful that we'll end up pregnant.  Here's hoping!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!