Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Guess Who Has Gestational Diabetes

Yep, I do.  

One thing you are more likely to develop when carrying multiples is gestational diabetes.  If you'll recall, I had the screening back in April, followed by the 3 hour glucose tolerance test.  Typically women aren't screened until they are 24 to 28 weeks along.  But since I am having twins, I was screened earlier. Although I passed the glucose tolerance test, I still had to have another screening during the 24-28 week window.  

I failed the initial screening, which meant I had to do the 3 hour glucose tolerance test.  Again.  This test involves fasting and four separate blood draws in a 3 hour time frame.  It's not super fun.  I figured I would pass it, just as I had the first time around.  

However, I got a call from the nurse the following day telling me that I had been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  In order to have a gestational diabetes diagnosis, at least two of the four blood draws have to come back with elevated blood sugar levels.  And that's exactly what happened with my test results.  

It was a big bummer.  I know there are far worse things that could come up during my pregnancy, but I really didn't want to have to deal with this diagnosis.  I was overwhelmed with the thought of having to closely monitor my eating and pricking my fingers to check my blood sugar levels.  I might have had a small breakdown and cried a bit.  

After getting the diagnosis, the next step was to meet with a dietitian to help me figure out how to control my gestational diabetes with my diet and a nurse to show me how to check my blood sugar levels.  I spent two hours with the dietitian and the nurse.  They were both lovely ladies, but I felt incredibly overwhelmed afterwards.  A lot of information was thrown my way.  

But I tried to focus on the positive.  It was caught early and is something that is easily managed.  The first few days of following the meal plan turned out to be tricky.  It was actually way more food than I had previously been eating.  The dietitian wants to make sure I will gain the 40 pounds my doctor wants me to gain by the end of my pregnancy, so she really piled on the food requirements.  I always imagined it would be fun to try to gain weight, but this is actually pretty miserable.  I tried really hard to follow the meal plan, but I just couldn't physically consume what the dietitian wanted me to consume.


It was also difficult because my activity has been restricted.  I literally spent my days eating, drinking water, peeing and then eating more.  If I had been able to move around a bit more, it might have been more tolerable.  

I shared my concerns with my doctor at my last appointment.  Luckily, my appointment also included a growth check of the babies.  At 29 weeks, our son weighed 3 pounds 11 ounces and our daughter weighed 3 pounds 5 ounces!  Our son is huge and our daughter is just slightly above the norm.  Since the babies were doing so well, my doctor said I could modify my meal plan.  Cutting out some of the food requirements have definitely helped.  I don't feel nearly as stuffed as I did with the original meal plan.  

I have to check my blood sugar levels 4 times a day.  I'm not super excited about having to prick my fingers 4 times a day.  It's not terribly painful, but it is a needle in my finger.  My blood sugar levels have been great, which means my gestational diabetes is under control. 


Like most things I've encountered during this pregnancy, it's not as bad as I envisioned things to be.  Sure, I'd rather not have to deal with this, but it's been okay.  And my babies are healthy and still growing in my belly!  I can't ask for much more than that!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!