Thursday, October 12, 2017

Jazzy Meets Her Babies

I was so excited for Jazzy to meet her new brother and sister!  I wasn't quite sure how she would respond to them.  I knew Jazzy wouldn't hurt them, but I wasn't sure if she would be interested in them. 

Adam had brought the babies' hats home for Jazzy to sniff before we brought the babies home.  We had read that allowing her to get used to their smell would help the introduction go more smoothly.  Here she is playing with her babies' hats in the backyard. 



We also asked my parents to get Jazzy a special treat to give to her when we brought the babies home.  That way she would associate something good with the babies.  So they got her a pig ear.  

The video below shows the first meeting!  (Sorry it is sideways...me and technology don't always mix.)  It was so incredibly sweet!  Jazzy was incredibly interested in Archer and Lyla.  She sniffed them and gave them some kisses.  She was far more interested in them than her pig ear!  We took that as a good sign.    


Jazzy has continued to be an amazing big sister!  She runs to them when they cry and will give them kisses.  She makes her rounds to keep tabs on both of them throughout the day.  She will barely go outside in the backyard because she doesn't like to leave them unattended.  And she sleeps downstairs instead of in our room now.  I think it's because she wants to guard the house and her babies.   

Jazzy has far exceeded my expectations as a big sister.  She is their protector.  And you can tell she really loves Archer and Lyla, even though they do their fair share of screaming.   


We haven't noticed any jealously issues.  She seems to understand that Archer and Lyla require more of our attention and seems to be okay with it.

I am suffering from dog mom guilt at the moment.  We haven't gotten back into our walking routine.  I try to take her at least once a day, but some days we don't make it.  Occasionally she'll sit by the front door, asking for a walk, and I have to walk by her to tend to a baby.  I feel so bad!  Especially since she's been so sweet with the babies!  There's nothing I want more than to take her on a 3-hour walk and let her smell anything her little heart desires.  So she might be getting a few more cookies these days and I try to give her belly a scratch whenever I have a free moment.

I love that our family feels complete now and that Jazzy is still very much a big part of it.  I can't wait to see how the bond between Archer and Lyla and Jazzy grows!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!