Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Four Months!

How the heck are my babies four months old already?!  Perhaps what's more unbelievable is how on track I am with this post.  Archer and Lyla turned four months old on December 3, 2017.

They are so stinking cute!  I swear they get just a little bit cuter each day.  They are definitely getting more interested in each other.  When I need to take a shower or get something done, I've been putting them both on a blanket next to each other with a few toys.  They babble and smile at each other.  Unless one of them smacks the other in the face or kicks too hard, they are content to be around each other.  Then they act like it's the end of the world.  But most of the time they like each other.   


Both Archer and Lyla are starting to grasp their toys, my hair, my face, my shirt...you know, whatever else is near their hands at the moment.  I can tell Lyla's fine motor skills are a bit more refined than Archer's at the moment.  They can both roll from their backs to their bellies.  It's kinda funny because they both hate being on their bellies.  So as soon as they roll onto their bellies, they are like "crap, what'd I do this for!?" and start to fuss.  We've gotten the Bumbo seat and exersaucer out for them to play in.  They both enjoy sitting in both.  Lyla likes to be in them for longer stretches of time than Archer.  Archer tends to get mad at the toys around the exersaucer after awhile.  I guess they don't do what he wants them to do.    


I finally got a picture of Archer smiling!  He is generally very generous with his smiles, but for some reason stops whenever I try to take a picture of him.  He is still pretty chill most of the time.  He is getting louder when he talks to you, especially first thing in the morning when Lyla is still trying to sleep.  He likes new environments, but is a bit cautious of new people.  It takes him a little while to warm up to people he's not familiar with.  Archer likes to have books read to him and play in the bath.  His legs are super strong and loves to bang his heels on the ground when he's laying down.  He generally goes to bed around 8 or 9 in the evening and wakes up around 5 in the morning.     


Lyla loves to suck her left thumb.  I am a big fan of this because it helps her soothe herself.  I think this is a big reason why she's been sleeping close to 12 hours at night!  She's able to suck her thumb to help put herself back to sleep if she wakes up during the night.  She loves to be out and about and meet new people.  She's our social butterfly and is quick to warm up to new people.  She still has her moments when she screams, which I think might be due to her acid reflux.  She hasn't been spitting up as much, so I'm hoping her acid reflux symptoms are starting to die down.  Lyla likes to be held and walked around the house.  

Jazzy is still doing remarkably well!  She loves her babies and tries to divide her attention between Archer and Lyla equally.  


I've managed to take all three of my kids for some walks.  Jazzy hates the stroller and would prefer to walk in front of it.  I can't see what she's doing or when she stops so I prefer her to be behind it.  We've compromised and Jazzy now walks beside it.  Jazzy's such a good girl!

I've been on two outings with both babies and only me.  The first one was to take them to get weighed at my breastfeeding support group.  That involved completely undressing each baby and then dressing them again.  It took a bit of thinking on my feet to make it a successful trip.  There are just so many little details to figure out.  Getting them ready to get out the door is a feat in itself.  Making sure they are fed, dressed and have clean diapers takes quite a bit of effort.  Then I have to, at the very least, take a shower and brush my teeth.  I also have to make sure Jazzy's been let outside and let back inside.  Next comes strapping them into their car seats, which they both hate.  I have to remember to bring the diaper backpack and extra bottles and check to make sure the stroller is in the trunk.  From there I load everything and everybody in the car.  Once we get to our destination, I have to get the unreasonably heavy stroller set up, add both car seats to it and remember to grab the diaper backpack and extra bottles.  Whew!  

The babies are still eating every 3 hours, so I try to make our outings fit within a three hour window.  Cutting it too close to their feeding times makes for some cranky babies (and mom).  

The second outing I took was to visit the school where I taught last year.  I wasn't as worried about this outing because I knew there would be lots of people available to hold the babies.  One of these days I'll work up the courage to take them to Target.  I have a tentative playdate set up with a friend for Monday.  Hopefully we'll make it out the door and to our destination without any meltdowns!  

Despite all the hard work, I truly love all the time I get to spend with Archer and Lyla.  Each day we make it through gives me a little more confidence as a mom.  I'm looking forward to what the next month will bring!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!