Saturday, September 8, 2018

An Easy Fall Wreath

It's been a little while since I've had the time to do any crafts, so I thought I would remedy that by making a wreath for our front door.  It took me the time span of a few naps, but overall it went pretty quickly.  I wanted to make a wreath that didn't scream fall, unlike this one that I adore, but like to put out closer to Halloween.  So I decided to use cozy textures to give a subtle nod to the season.

I had a small foam wreath I bought at an estate sale a long time ago, and decided to use it for this project.  I wanted to wrap it in some yarn, which seems very cozy and fall-like to me.  So Lyla, Archer and I ventured out to a craft store to get some yarn.  I picked a dark gray color.  By the time we made it to the check-out counter, it was rather soggy from Lyla chewing on it.  But she also didn't scream once during the trip, so who cares about some soggy yarn?  

Once Lyla and Archer were down for their nap, I started to wrap the yarn around the wreath.  I tied the end of the yarn around a straight pin and stuck in the foam wreath to anchor down the starting point.  Then I just wrapped and wrapped and wrapped the yarn around.  This part took a bit longer than I bargained for, but was able to get it all wrapped up in two naps.  When I got back to the starting point, I simply tied the end of the yarn around the straight pin that held the starting point of the yarn.  (If you to make a wreath of your own and don't want to bother with all the yarn wrapping, you could also just get a grapevine wreath.)   


Next came the fun part!  While we were at the craft store, I also picked up some felt which I would turn into flowers.  I picked out some purples, light pink, goldenrod, cream and teals.  I just held up different felt sheets until I had a group of colors that looked good together.  

Once the wreath was wrapped in yarn, I cut the felt sheets into smaller square-ish shapes.  I didn't measure anything or worry about cutting too neatly.  The more imperfect, the better the flowers turn out.  After I cut out the squares, I rounded off the corners.  Then I cut a each rounded square into a spiral, like the photo below shows.  


After that, I started with the outer part of the spiral and just rolled it up until there was nothing left to roll.  I was left with a pretty flower.  I repeated this process using different sized squares in different colors.  I ended up using 10 flowers on my wreath.  (You can use as many or a few flowers as you want.  I just laid out the flowers on the wreath until I had an arrangement I was happy with.)


When I had all my flowers rolled up, I plugged in my hot glue gun.  I put some hot glue on the bottom of the flower and stuck the end over the hot glue, like so.  


From there I cut out some leaves and hot glued those to the backs of the flowers. 


Once I had a good group of flowers with leaves all glued together, I started to play around with the placement on the wreath.  I ended up using 10 flowers, in 2 clumps of 5.  As soon as I was happy with the arrangement, I hot glued the flowers onto the wreath.  


The final step was to attach some twine to the back so I could hang it up on our front door.   I just tied some twine around another straight pin and stuck it into the back of the wreath.  Then I tied the ends into a little bow.  


I love how it turned out!  All the cozy textures reminds me of fall.  And the flowers seem so welcoming and cheery, which is exactly how I want all my guests to feel when they come to our home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!