Monday, August 31, 2015

A Moderate Success

Remember way back in spring when I first planted our garden?  I'm back with an update on how my garden grew this year.  


I planted spearmint seeds twice.  And not a single sprout popped up.  

The basil did better.  We actually ended up with a few plants.  We picked the leaves and used them in pasta dishes and made caprese salad.  They had good flavor and I think we'll continue to plant basil in future gardens.  


The parsley also came in pretty well.  We have quite a bit of it.  Adam has put it in some dishes and reported that it tasted pretty good.  


The cilantro wasn't having it this year.  It hardly grew at all and didn't last very long.  It's too bad, because that's what we were most excited about eating! 

The most disappointing was the arugula.  It sure did grow rather rampantly, but it was disgusting.  It was way too spicy.  I'm not sure what made it so gross, but I don't think we'll try to grow it next year.  Not even the rabbits nibbled on this!


For the longest time, I didn't think the zinnias would bloom.  I knew they needed more sun than the spot provided, but I was still hopeful.  Just a few weeks ago, a few of flowers started to bloom.  The colors are gorgeous and the blooms keep getting bigger and bigger.  I can't wait until I have enough for a bouquet to put on our dining room table. 


And the rock markers held up very well.  We had lots of rain, but it didn't wash away the labels on the rocks.  I will definitely be using that trick next year.  While not everything turned out, we did have some moderate success!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!