Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Infertility Can Be Lonely

One of the things that has surprised me most about dealing with a miscarriage and infertility is how lonely it can seem.  I have felt many feelings over the past three years and loneliness is one that I felt often.  I felt like I couldn't talk about what happened to me because it would just make people sad.  I felt like I had to deal with this horrible situation on my own.  And I had no clue how to deal with it.  

I was incredibly lucky to have two co-workers reach out to me right after I lost my baby.  I wasn't particularly close to them, but they stepped up.  They made themselves available to me and shared their stories with me.  I will be forever grateful to them.  They took away some of my loneliness.   

Before dealing with it myself, I knew of very few people that had to deal with miscarriages or infertility. Since talking about my infertility struggles with my family and friends and starting this blog, I can hardly keep track of all the women who have come forward with their own struggles with me.  I can only hope that one day I am able to offer someone the same comfort others have given me.   

Why are people so hesitant to bring up miscarriages and infertility?  I think people can be unsure of how to bring up such a sensitive topic.  They are afraid of upsetting women who are already dealing with a hardship.  As long as people are thoughtful about when and where they bring up the topic and do so in a loving, caring way, I think it can only offer support.  

I recently read this powerful blog post that speaks to this same topic.  I found myself agreeing aloud with everything it said.  And then there's this post that also had me nodding my head in agreement.  That's one good thing about this digital world we all live in.  It can help us put ideas out there and allow people to connect who are in similar situations.

So my hope with this blog post is to help open up conversations around these subjects.  There are so many women out there who I know feel alone.  We should all look for ways to help each other feel less alone, no matter what struggle they are facing.  

This is one of my favorite quotes. No matter what you're going through, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Plato:         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!