Friday, February 5, 2016

Where Shall I Set My Drink?

Adam and I love the sectional that we purchased this past summer.  It's very roomy and it fits in our living room perfectly.  The color is a nice contrast to our dark chocolate walls.  Plus, you can't see all the dog hair that Jazzy leaves laying around on it.


  
We spend a lot of time on the sectional.  We watch far too many hours of Netflix sitting on it.  And I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but we even eat dinner sitting on the sectional most nights.  We found ourselves in a bit of a conundrum while eating our dinner on the sectional.  You see, if we were holding our dinner plates, then we had no way to hold our drinks.  One of us could sit next to the side table, but the other one of us had to put our drink on the tray on the ottoman in front of the sectional.  But, if we wanted to take a drink we would have to stand up and reach over the ottoman to get our cup.  First world problem, I know.  But still a problem for us.  

So, we starting brainstorming some solutions.  Adam found this sofa table idea on the Ana White website.  I was sold!  So, Adam got to work.  

He whipped up a sofa table that fit the dimensions of the back of our sectional.  After he built it, he stained it using General Finishes Water Based Wood Stain in Java.  Once the stain was dry, he sealed it using General Finishes High Performance Polyurethane Water Based Topcoat in the Satin finish.  Adam raved about both, saying they had better coverage and weren't as smelly as other stains he's used in the past.  




After Adam put the final topcoat on, we let it air out in the garage for a few days.  Then, we brought it into the living room to fully cure.  


After another couple of days, it was ready to be moved to its final location behind the couch.  I think it adds a whole other layer of style to our living room.

  

And it's functional!  Now we have a place to set our drinks! 


Adam made me switch out the coasters we were using in the living room with the coasters from the family room.  These blue glass coasters that we got at an art fair in Pittsburgh have rubber feet on the bottom, which means there's no chance of them ruining the finish on the sofa table.  


Not only do I now have a place to set my drink, but I also have some more light in the corner.  I can read in my favorite spot on the sectional now. 


Thanks for the gorgeous sofa table, Adam!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!