Saturday, April 8, 2017

Spring Has Sprung!

Spring is here, which makes me super happy!  I love all the budding trees, blooming flowers and green grass!  This weekend Adam and I spruced up our yard a bit and got into the swing of spring.

Let's start in the front yard, shall we?

I always do some pots on the porch and driveway that star my favorite plant: elephant ears.  I like to add some color to the pots since it takes a little while for the elephant ears to grow.  So I headed to Home Depot on Saturday, along with everyone else, and got some flowers.  I was tossing flowers in my cart left and right.  When I made it to the cashier, I was a bit surprised by the $57 total.  Sorry, Adam, but don't they look pretty? 

Once I had my flowers, I grabbed the rest of the supplies I would need.  I made sure to wear gardening gloves so I wouldn't have to worry about getting toxoplasmosis.  (Toxoplasmosis is some sort of parasite that's found in soil and cat feces you have to worry about when you are pregnant, but for most other people it isn't a big deal.)            


I potted the two pots that sit on the stairs to the porch and one that sits on the porch.  Along with an elephant ear in each pot, I added some impatients and petunias.  I have found that both impatients and petunias do great in both shade and part sun.    


The hanging baskets each have a geranium in the center, circled by impatients and petunias.  


The big pot in the driveway got in on the action too.  Along with an elephant ear, I added spikes, verbena, petunias and creeping Jenny.  I'm especially excited to see how the creeping Jenny grows.  It's that light green plant on the right and it's supposed to travel down the side of the pot.  


Adam and I (mainly Adam) spent Friday night adding new mulch to the beds in front of our house.  The new mulch definitely cleans things up and makes everything look fresh.  


We decided the side of our house that we added a planter bed to back in June didn't need any new mulch, which saved us some time and money.  The peonies, irises and hostas we planted there are already popping up!


The other side of our house is shaping up, as well.  We also have peonies there, which have lots of little buds ready to bust out into big puffy flowers!  And we planted some hydrangea bushes there.  They look more like little sticks right now, but I'm hopeful that a couple years down the road they will turn into bushes.  Blue hydrangeas were our wedding flowers, so they hold special meaning to me.    


In the backyard, we added some daises along our back fence a couple weeks ago.  (Thanks, Paula!)  They will grow big and tall, so I think they will add some beauty to the boring stretch of fence and rock.  


Our diy cedar planter box is going to look a little different this year.  One of our lovely neighbor's cats thought we had made them a nice litter box last summer.  Since I don't want to risk getting toxoplasmosis, we decided not to plant any herbs to eat in there this year.  The mojito mint came back on it's own, so we decided to let that stay.  Adam can enjoy some mojitos this summer without me.  We added some zinnia seeds to the other two sections.  (Thanks, Dad!)  They should get plenty of sun, so I hope to be able to fill my house with bouquets of zinnias soon.   


After all that gardening, I put up the hammock in our backyard.  It hangs between two trees and is the perfect resting spot.  Jazzy, the babies and I enjoyed a little rest after all our hard work this weekend.  I plan to spend lots of time out there from now on!    


 Happy Spring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!