Thursday, March 17, 2016

Jazzy Travels in Style and Safety

UPDATE: We exchanged Jazzy's Sleepypod Clickit Utility Dog Harness for the Sleepypod Sport Dog Harness.  Read this post for more details.  

Adam and I try to be good parents to Jazzy and look out for her general well-being.  When we first got Jazzy, we bought her a harness that attached to the seat belt in the car.  We didn't want her to get hurt wandering around the car or if we were to get into an accident.  We figured most doggy seat belts were created equal and as long as we strapped Jazzy in, she would be safe.  

Turns out, we were wrong!  Adam's mom shared this article with me.  It points out how dog seat belt harnesses are not regulated and some can even end up causing more harm than good in an accident. Yikes!  
So, we researched some of the top safety picks in the article and decided to buy the Sleepypod Clickit Utility Dog Harness.  It was a bit on the expensive side (around $90), but if it keeps our dog baby safe, it's worth it.  

It came in the mail the other day and Jazzy was very excited to try it out.  Adam tried it out first and reported back that it worked well and Jazzy liked it.  When I decided to take Jazzy on a little ride with me, I was curious to see how well it worked for myself.  When I showed it to Jazzy, she seemed to know that it meant she got to go for a ride.  She put up with me taking a few pre-ride pictures, but wanted me to get on with it so she could get in the car! 


What makes it super safe and secure is the three-point harness.  There is the harness that goes on Jazzy. And then there are two straps that connect to the rings in the backseat that you would connect a car seat to.  It came with a handy illustrated guide to show you exactly what to do.  It took a little while to get things all adjusted at first, but I'm sure we'll get faster at putting it on the more we use it.  

After Jazzy got her harness put on, she excitedly hopped up into the backseat.  I attached the two straps to her harness and the car seat rings in the backseat.  


The final step is to slide the seat belt through the harness and click the seat belt into place.  Once everything was connected correctly, Jazzy was tied in three different places. 


Even though Jazzy is nice and secure, she can still sit and lay down comfortably.  She didn't seem to move around as much as she did with her other seat belt harness, which is a good thing.  I wasn't as concerned about having to make any sudden stops or sharp turns because I knew Jazzy was safe and sound.  


All three of us are happy with our latest purchase.  Adam and I can rest assured that Jazzy is safe.  And Jazzy feels quite stylish, as well as safe, in her new harness.  She gives it two paws up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!