Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Thinking About IVF

With yet another month of not getting pregnant, Adam and I are starting to think about other options. We've tried lots of different things, including 5 IUIs and acupuncture.  Nothing has seemed to work its magic yet.  It seems as though we will need to head towards IVF if we want to end up pregnant.  

IVF is In Vitro Fertilization.  Basically, an egg and sperm are mixed in a little dish and then when the egg is fertilized, it is put back into your uterus.  Of course, it's far more complicated, but that's the basic idea.  

It's incredibly frustrating to have to think about IVF.  Adam and I were able to get pregnant on our own with our first baby without any help.  And the doctors can't seem to find any reason why we can't get pregnant now.  I'm hesitant to move towards IVF because it seems like we should be able to get pregnant again without strong medical interventions.  

While mulling over the idea of IVF, there are many factors to consider.  One of the biggest factors for us is the cost.  Once you take the medications and procedures into account, it will cost in the $13,000 ballpark. That's a big chunk of money and not an amount we have laying around.  And that's just for one attempt. According to our doctor's success rate, women under 35 using their own eggs have a 57% chance of conception for each transfer.  While that's a lot higher than the 15% chance of conception for an IUI, that's still basically a 50/50 shot.  That's a lot of money and a lot of pressure for one try.  

Then there's the emotional side of things to consider.  I would have to take medications and give myself shots, which would affect my hormones.  I would also have to be put under sedation to have my eggs retrieved.  I'm not gonna lie...it sounds very overwhelming.  

But I keep coming back to the idea that it could work.  And we could end up with a healthy baby.  When I was doing dishes the other day, I looked up at my kitchen towel and was reminded that I shouldn't quit my daydream of becoming a mom.  


Adam and I are still trying to figure out what's best for us.  It's a big decision and not one that we take lightly.  I know we'll figure it out and hopefully, one way or another, Jazzy will get a sibling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!