Wednesday, March 2, 2016

How To Make Tiled Floors Look Like New

Adam and I are hard at work transforming our half bathroom.  I can't wait until it's all finished and I can share the results!  In the meantime, here's an easy update that made our tiled floors look like new.  The best part...it only cost us 12 bucks!  

The floor in our half bathroom is tiled.  It's in pretty good shape and neutral enough that it didn't warrant replacing it.  The grout lines, however, were looking a bit gross.  I had tried and tried to scrub them clean, but they were hopelessly stained.   


As an avid diy blog reader, I came across this post from Young House Love and this post from The DIY Playbook that raved about Polyblend Grout Renew.  Essentially, it's a product you paint over dingy grout lines.  It comes in 38 different colors, is cheap and is super easy to apply. 


I wasn't entirely sure which shade to buy since there were so many options, so I ended up going home with two different shades.  I selected Snow White, which is a slightly off-white color, and Platinum, which is more gray.  

I decided to test out the product and different colors in my upstairs guest bathroom.  It has tile on half of the floor where the toilet is and carpet on the other half.  Not the best flooring for a bathroom.  Replacing the flooring with all tile is on our to-do list, so I figured this would be the perfect area to test things out.  


All you do is paint on the product with a tiny craft brush.  If you get any on the tiles, you have to wipe it off quickly before it dries.  It does dry rather quickly, so it worked best to work in small sections.  At first, I was trying to be super careful and not get any on the tile, but soon found that to be too tedious. So I started just swiping the grout lines with the craft brush without too much care and then wiping off the excess afterwards.  It seemed to go quicker.  

Here are the two different color options I tried out.  Snow White is on the left and Platinum is on the right.  

I decided Platinum didn't really work with the tone of the tiles, so I decided to go with Snow White.  Plus, it seemed to match the caulking around the toilet and tub better.  

Look at the difference it made!  It covered up all those stains, but still looked like grout.


I was convinced after how well it worked out in our guest bathroom that I did the same in our half bathroom.  It turned out equally well!  (Can you see the sneak peek of our beadboard walls?) 


It was well worth hanging out around the toilets on the floors in my bathrooms.  I love that it was simple and inexpensive to make my tiled floors look like new!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!