Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Buh-Bye Polyp!

This past week has been a bit of a blur.  Two Mondays ago, Adam and I met with Dr. Brabec for a second opinion on our infertility struggles.  After meeting with her and having a sonogram done, she suggested I have an SHG to get a better look at my uterus.  I was able to schedule the SHG for Wednesday and it revealed that I had a polyp on the lining of my uterus.  It's not uncommon for women to have polyps and they aren't typically harmful.  However, they can cause infertility.  In my case, Dr. Brabec doesn't believe the polyp is what is causing our infertility.  But it certainly wasn't helping anything, so she suggested I have a minor surgery to remove it.  

She assured me that it was very routine.  She said the procedure itself would only take about 10 minutes and it wouldn't be a big deal, although I would be asleep.  While I trusted her completely, I was still a bit nervous about having surgery.  I am not a fan of paper cuts.  Needless to say, I was concerned with how I would do with surgery.  

Dr. Brabec told me that I didn't need to rush into the surgery.  But the thought of a surgery hanging over my head wasn't really something that appealed to me.  Luckily, I was able to schedule the surgery for this past Monday.  I was very thankful that I wouldn't have to think about it for very long and I could just get it over with.  My mom was able to get some time off work and be with me for the surgery and a few days afterwards.  Of course Adam was also there for me, but sometimes having your mom around is just what you need.

I did all the things you normally do when preparing for surgery.  I didn't eat or drink anything past midnight on Sunday evening.  I had to take off my nail polish.  I was a bit bummed about this because I had just painted my nails and I had actually done a really good job.  I know I'm ridiculous. 

Monday morning came around quickly.  I wasn't too nervous as we drove the the hospital or during the check in.  But I started to get more anxious when it came time for the nurse to put in the IV.  First she tried to put it the back of my forearm, between my wrist and my elbow.  After digging around for awhile, she decided the IV wouldn't work out there for me.  I am a big wimp and that hurt.  Things started to get real and I got more scared.  She was able to get the IV in my other arm at the back of my elbow.  That didn't hurt nearly as bad as before.  Then I got to wait a bit.  

Adam and my mom got to come wait with me and they helped to distract me.  But when they I left, my nerves started getting the better of me.  I started to shake a bit, which I think was just from nerves.  Then the nurse wheeled me to the operating room.  She asked me to move onto the operating table, which I did. And that's the last thing I remember.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up in the room I started out in.  The nurse was with me and started talking to me.  She was asking how I was feeling.  I remember being really sleepy, but trying to be pleasant to the nurse and answer all her questions.  Eventually, I started feeling less sleepy and Adam and my mom were allowed to come back in the room with me.  

I wasn't in any pain and Dr. Brabec said everything went very well.  She removed the polyp and was able to smooth out some other part of my uterus.  Look at how lovely my uterus looks now!  


I was surprised at how little pain I felt after the surgery.  I had some very minor cramping and just a little bit of bleeding.  I even felt up for going out for lunch.  After lunch, I took it easy for the rest of the day. The following day I felt even better and my mom and I spent the day shopping.

I was so happy everything went so smoothly and that it's over with!  I was also especially happy to have Adam and my mom there for me.  This is just one more step in the right direction towards getting pregnant!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!