Friday, June 10, 2016

Storage Ideas for Craft Supplies

I'm a little embarrassed to share the following pictures with you all.  It is what the closet in my guest bedroom looked like prior to a little organizing I recently did.  I kept random home decor items, tons of craft supplies and a bunch of mementos I haven't been able to part with over the years.  



Yikes!  It was getting a bit out of hand.  I could barely get the closet doors open and I couldn't easily find what I was looking for when I needed something.  So I decided I needed to do some organizing.  While I would have loved to put in an Elfa closet system or build it out with more shelving, that just didn't make sense.  It is Adam and my's hope that we'll have kids someday and they will likely need a closet to house their clothing.  So my goal was to use the closet as is.  

So I started by taking everything out of the closet.  As I did so, I made a pile of stuff that could be thrown away.  I don't know why I was saving things like old calendar pages.  I also made a pile of anything that I didn't want anymore that could be donated to Goodwill.  By this point, the room was a complete disaster! 


After sorting through everything, I started to put like items together so I would know what all needed to go back into the closet.  I put all the frames and artwork together, all the home decor items together, all the craft supplies together, and so on.  

Then I started putting things back in the closet.  I kept all the like items together, so I will know exactly where to look when I need to find something from now on.  While the closet isn't exactly beautiful, it is way more organized.  


Some of my favorite organizing tools include the plastic drawers.  I like that you can see through them, so you know exactly what's inside.  Plus they prevent things from getting dusty.  


Another favorite organizing tool of mine is a hanging shoe organizer on the back of the bedroom door.  It's the perfect way to organize smaller things.  It's also easy to find and grab what you need quickly.  


The hanging shoe organizer perfectly houses random things like stamps and balloons.  Plus, the black and white pattern on this one makes it more fun to look at.  


I'm so happy my blood pressure doesn't spike every time I try to find something in my closet now!  I can easily find what I need and it looks much, much better.  I'm sure some of these ideas could work for whatever you have that needs organizing, too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!