Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Hello!

Not too long ago, I gushed about our new front door.  I am even more in love with it now that it's painted a cheery, happy blue!  


I decided to go with the color Blue Bicycle by Valspar.  I adore this color!  It is definitely pretty bold and bright.  But a front door is the perfect place to try out such a fun color.

Our fiberglass front door came primed white from the factory.  We could have paid $400 PER SIDE to have it painted at the factory.  I said a big, whopping "NO!" to that!  I could handle a little painting without the $400 price tag.  

After doing a little research, I decided to follow this tutorial pretty closely.  I bought the recommended Valspar Duramax exterior paint in a semi-gloss finish.  It worked like a charm!  I did not do the sanding or deglossing step since the door came already primed.  I ended up doing two coats on eat side and then touched up a few spots here and there.  


I decided to paint both sides of the front door so I could enjoy the fun color while I was inside or outside. The blue works with the entryway and visible dining room.  It definitely brightens up our doorway!  To add some more fun charm, I hung this "Hello" sign above the door I found on sale at Hobby Lobby and added a new coordinating rug I found at Tuesday Morning.  On a side note, have you ever been to Tuesday Morning? It's very similar to Home Goods.  They have discounted home decor items.  I always forget to go there when trying to find things for my home, but am always happy when I remember to go since I can usually find some good deals.

I also added a new outdoor rug that I found on clearance at Target.  It ties in nicely with the door and also with the pots that house my elephant ear plants.   


After spending so much time and effort painting the door, I didn't want to put a nail in it to hang my wreaths from like I did in our previous front door.  So, I opted for a metal Command hook in an oil-rubbed bronze finish to match the door hardware.   


This was such a cheap, easy project!  For the cost of a quart of paint, I now have a front door that makes me smile whether I'm coming or going!  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!