Friday, July 8, 2016

How to Remove Tar from Shoes

I don't know about you, but I can't stand it when annoying things like getting tar on the bottom of your brand new tennis shoes happens.  These are small, first-world problems, but they still manage to make me crabby.  

While Adam and I were walking around a park, I managed to get a glob of tar stuck on the bottom of my brand new tennis shoes.  Grrrr....  After digging out what I could with a stick, I decided I would forget about it and deal with it later.  

When we got home, I did some quick research to see if anyone else had figured out how to remove tar from the bottom of shoes.  Believe it or not, WD-40 kept coming up as a solution!  We had a few cans of it in our garage, so I decided to give it a go.  I also grabbed an old toothbrush and some paper towels.  


All I did was squirt some WD-40 over the tar and let it sit for awhile.  It soaked into the tar and started loosening it up.    


While the WD-40 was doing its thing, I looked over my shoulder and noticed Jazzy staring very intently at one of the chairs on our porch. 


There was a cat laying on the chair and I hadn't even noticed.  Jazzy sure took notice.  I was surprised that she didn't bark at it or go after it, seeing as how she starts growling at most dogs she meets.  She just seemed curious.


The cat couldn't have cared less about Jazzy.  The two of them got along very well.  I have no idea where the cat came from or who it belongs to.  I did give it some water and some of Jazzy's food.  I haven't seen it around since, so I guess it went home.  I'm sure Jazzy would love for it to visit again since they got along so well.

Anyways, back to the tar-removing endeavor.  After the WD-40 soaked the tar for about 5 to 10 minutes, I scraped off what I could with the old toothbrush.  Then, I spritzed on some more WD-40 and used paper towels to get off the rest.  


It worked surprisingly well!  Now I don't have to worry about getting tar wherever I step.  Who knew WD-40 had so many uses?

  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you I also got tar on a favorite pair of sneakers 👍

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts!