Thursday, May 25, 2017

Good Thing Jazzy's Cute!

Remember how I said this in the last post

"The day lilies and hostas in our front beds are getting bigger and bigger.  Jazzy likes to wander around in them as if she's in the jungle.  She's chased out more than a few bunnies and squirrels.  Thankfully she hasn't caught any of them this season...yet."  


Well, I totally jinxed myself in saying so.  The other day I let Jazzy outside in the backyard so she could go play.  I can hear her scratch on the door frame when she's ready to come inside.  I heard her little scratching, so I went to the back door to let her inside.  I was greeted with this lovely sight...


I certainly wasn't expecting this and I am very glad I actually looked at Jazzy before I opened up the door! She wanted to bring that poor baby bunny inside!  Gross!!  Imagine if I hadn't paid any attention to Jazzy and she ran upstairs and hid that thing in our bed!  

I stood there for awhile trying to brainstorm what I was going to do about this situation.  (Of course I took a picture first to show her daddy how ornery she had been.)  I knew I needed to get that bunny away from her before she came inside or decided to start eating it.  I was trying really hard not to gag at this point.  

I finally decided to get some of Jazzy's poop bags to put over my hands like gloves.  I thought I could pry her jaws open and scoop up the baby bunny with one of the bags.  So I went outside with lime green poop bags on my hands.  Jazzy was so excited about her catch.  She was literally quivering with excitement and wagging her tail like crazy.  I did feel a little bad about the fact that she wouldn't get to keep her prized possession.  I am I very glad the bunny wasn't alive at this point.  

Once I got up the nerve to actually try to get the bunny away from Jazzy, I tried with all my might to get Jazzy's jaws open.  But she wasn't going to let that bunny go.  Then I tried to grab the bunny's legs and pull it out of her mouth, but the squishiness of the bunny was too much for me and I had to stop.    

This was so disgusting.  I wasn't sure what to try next.  So I went inside and called Adam at work.  He didn't pick up his phone so I left some crazy message that I'm sure he got a kick out of when he listened to it.  

I wandered around the house trying to figure out what to try next.  I got the brillant idea to try swapping out the bunny for another treat.  I got one of Jazzy's Liver Slivers, which is one of her favorite treats.  I found a big piece of it and went back outside.  I waved it in her face so she could smell it and thought she would just put the baby bunny down to eat it while I scooped the bunny up with my poop bag glove.  I guess Jazzy did not feel it was an equal trade.  She had no plans of giving up that bunny.  She just went to sit next to the door so she could bring it inside.  


I was really at a loss now.  I had no idea what to try next.  So I decided to take a little video of the ordeal to fully illustrate for Adam what went on.  


I thought for a minute that I could just leave Jazzy and the bunny outside until Adam got home.  But I was afraid she would try to eat it, which would be disgusting!  And she would have been out there for hours. So then I got the idea of asking one of my neighbors for ideas.  Since it was during the day, most of my neighbors were at work so I couldn't go ask them.  But next door to us is a sweet retired couple in their 70s or 80s.  I know they had had dogs in the past so I figured maybe they would know what to do.  

I left Jazzy in the backyard and knocked on their door.  Willard answered and I told him that I needed some advice.  I explained that Jazzy had caught a baby bunny and wasn't giving it up.  He told me that he and his wife Carol had seen Jazzy running around chasing something.  So I'm sure they also saw me trying to pry the bunny out of her mouth while wearing lime green bags on my hands.  Willard said he would be right over to help.  

So Willard came over wearing some actual work gloves, which made me wonder why I hadn't thought to do the same thing.  He somehow managed to get the bunny out of her mouth in a jiffy!  It was on the ground in front of Jazzy in no time!  He held Jazzy back so she wouldn't pick it up again, which meant I had to pick it up with one of my poop bag gloves.  I tried to just pick it up by the foot, but it was still disgusting. I gave her the Liver Sliver treat as a consolation prize.  I don't think she enjoyed it quite as much as the bunny.  

Willard said there might be a nest somewhere in the yard, so we wandered around to look for it.  We didn't find one, so we figured that the bunny had just come into the yard on its own.  Willard is my hero!  I really don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been around to help.  

After that debacle, I let Jazzy back inside.  Luckily there wasn't any blood or guts hanging out of the bunny so I didn't have to clean Jazzy up.  I think Jazzy had managed to break its neck.  But I gave Jazzy a fresh mint dental bone just in case.  And Adam brushed her teeth when he got home.  

As disgusting as the whole ordeal was, I can't be mad at Jazzy.  She was just being a dog.  And as Willard pointed out, there's one less bunny around to eat our flowers and plants.  It sure is a good thing that Jazzy's cute!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!