Monday, May 8, 2017

Behind the Scenes of the Nursery

The nursery is thisclose to being complete!  I am just waiting on the curtains I ordered from a gal on Etsy to arrive.  While I'm waiting on the curtains before I reveal our nursery on the blog, I thought it would be fun to take a peek at all of the hard work that went into this space.  

Let's take a look at where we started.  Here's what the room looked like when we moved in.  We knew that one day this room would be the perfect nursery mainly because it's located directly across the hall from our room.  It's a good size, not too big and not to small.  It has a roomy closet, perfect for storing all that baby stuff.  And it has a nice window to let in some natural light.   

 

When we were pregnant with our baby girl the first time around, we never got started on turning the room into the nursery.  We did put the baby gifts we received and some furniture we hoped to use in there.  But we never got to meet our sweet girl and the room never became a nursery.  For a long time we kept that door shut because it was just too painful to have to look into that empty room each time we walked up the stairs to go to our room.  

We've been waiting years and years to be able to officially call this room the nursery again.  Eventually we got tired of waiting and decided to start working on it with the hopes that it would jump start our family. Adam wanted to add a plank ceiling and crown molding, so that's what we got started with well before we knew the twins were coming.

Adam began by removing the old, ugly ceiling fan.  From there he installed some furring strips that he would eventually attach the planks to.  (He'll probably kill me for sharing shirtless photos of him, but I had to document the furring strips!)  Once the furring strips were up, they were ready for the planks.  This post has more detailed information on how to install the plank ceiling.     

  

From there, the planks went up.  This process was a bit tedious and took quite a bit of time.  We took our time since we weren't even pregnant by this point.  We got a few planks up and then we focused on other projects.  

Fast forward a year or so.  We found out we were pregnant with twins!  So Adam got busy on the nursery again.  He finished putting up all the planks and then wrote this sweet message before installing the crown molding.


Okay, I've sopped up all my tears.  We can move on.  

Then the crown molding went up.
  
Once the crown molding was up, Adam painted it white, along with the ceiling, closet doors, baseboards and window and door trim.  


From there, we had to pick the wall color and it was a little trickier than I thought it would be!  At first, we threw around the idea of gray.  But after trying out a few samples, we decided we just weren't gray people.  So then I decided on a bright, cheery green.  Adam was nice to me and agreed that was the perfect color all along.  A few other people I told about our color choice weren't so sure, but we decided to go for it.  

We ended up picking Behr's Solitary Tree and I am in love with it!  It's fun and energetic during the day, but calming and moody at night.  It's perfect for our babies' nursery!  

My parents and Adam's mom were super kind to help us with the painting!  (Thanks, Mom, Dad and Janet!) I didn't help out because I didn't want to be breathing in any unnecessary fumes, even though the paint we used had zero VOCs.  Adam and I have been super careful throughout my pregnancy, probably to the point of being a bit neurotic.  But that's okay.  We just want our babies safe and healthy!   

 

Once I receive the curtains and get them installed, I'll be back with a full reveal of the nursery!     

In the meantime, here's a fun photo progression of the nursery:








No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!