Saturday, May 21, 2016

A Shower Saga

Today I will share with you the saga of our master bathroom shower.  And it is quite the saga!  

It all started when we moved in a few years ago.  The shower in our master bathroom was a tiny stall with sliding glass doors.  The sliding doors had years of soap scum and the tracks were downright disgusting.  I tried many cleaning methods, many of which involved me kneeling in the shower with q-tips and toothbrushes.  I was able to get it looking far better than it did, but it was still gross.  I tried to live with it for a while, but got grossed out thinking of all the gross-ness that was still in the shower tracks that a toothbrush couldn't reach.  

So, I convinced Adam that we needed to take down the doors and replace them with a shower curtain.  We were able to take down the doors and tracks without any trouble.  I bought a waterproof fabric liner and a long waffle-weave shower curtain, along with an adjustable tension rod.  I wanted to go with a fabric liner that we could wash instead of the smelly, plastic liners that had to be thrown out from time to time.    



Let me tell you, an adjustable tension rod is not the way to go.  It stayed put for a few days, but eventually came crashing down.  We tried several times to put it back up only to have it fall back down. Adam had enough of it after a few crashes and bought a rod that could be secured into the wall with screws.  I must admit, it was way better than the tension rod I originally bought.  

Now we had a shower curtain that stayed up, but another problem arose.  Whenever we would take a shower, the liner would billow in and stick to us.  There are few feelings worse than a wet shower curtain liner stuck to your legs.  It drove me crazy!  The liner we bought claimed to have a weighted bottom, but it certainly didn't have enough weight to keep it from blowing around.  

My solution was to sew some magnets into the bottom of the liner.  This definitely helped prevent the shower curtain liner from blowing around, but it soon created another problem.  The magnets, being magnets, stuck to each other.  So every time we got in the shower, we would have to unstick all the magnets and strategically close the liner so the magnets wouldn't cross paths.  It was annoying.  

Then, we encountered yet another issue.  Since the magnets would stick together when we opened the shower curtain liner to get in and out, it stuck together in a soggy mass of fabric.  It never dried out fully and mold and orange stuff (I don't even want to know what that was) started to grow.  I figured since it was a washable, fabric liner, I could just throw it in the washer with a little bleach.  That did not work. The mold and orange junk was still on the liner!  So, I got out a toothbrush and tried to scrub it away with bleach.  I was able to get most of it off, but it wasn't like new.  We had to repeat this process every month or so.  It was just plain ridiculous!

So, I decided to look for another shower curtain liner.  Since we hung the rod so high, we needed a liner that was 95 inches tall.  The only one I seemed to be able to find in stores or online was the one we already bought, which was a piece of crap.  

Eventually, I decided to look at shorter options, figuring we could lower the rod and hem the shower curtain.  I ended up getting this shower curtain liner from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  It had pretty good reviews, but was a tad pricey.  There are handy little suction cups on the sides that you can stick to the side of your shower to help keep the water from getting out.  


Despite the suction cups, it still billowed out and stuck to my legs when I took a shower.  This made me very angry!  

I then set my attention on finding a solution to this problem that did not involve using magnets.  After spending far too much time researching reasons why shower liners did this and possible solutions, I came across this crazy thing called Shower Curtsy.  It looked ridiculous and I was highly skeptical.  But I was also desperate at this point, so I asked Adam to order it along with some other things he needed from Amazon.

Let me tell you, I am in love with Shower Curtsy!  It definitely keeps the shower curtain from sticking to my legs.  You stick it on the liner with the weights in between the liner and the curtain.  Since the weights are in between the liner and curtain, you don't even see them.  I pulled the curtain aside in the picture below so you can see how it is attached.  I say a little thank you to the creators of Shower Curtsy every time I get in the shower now.  



After all the time, money and grief we spent on this stupid shower, we probably could have ripped out the old one and put in a fancy one with glass panels!  Oh well, at least we now have a shower that is not gross and allows me to take a shower without the liner attacking me.  



Hopefully this post will offer some tips that will help you out if you are having similar shower issues.  Who knew a shower could have such a saga!?!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!