Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Musical Artwork

Updating our tv wall in the living room spurred a little game of musical artwork throughout our house. After hanging the three pictures above our new tv stand, I decided the mantel was looking a little busy. There were the three pictures above our tv on one side of the fireplace and our vacation gallery wall on the other side.  And then there was all the fireplace stuff.  There was just too much stuff happening on that wall.  

I decided to pare down what was displayed on the mantel.  After thinking about what would work, I decided one, big black and white photo or print would look best.  I threw around the idea of trying to get Adam and Jazzy to pose with me for a family portrait.  But after I remembered how long it took us to get a decent photo for our Christmas card, I changed my mind. 

Not wanting to take on a time-consuming project or spend a lot of money, I started wandering around my house looking for photos we had that might work.  I stopped in our bedroom and decided the photo of us that Adam got me for my birthday a few years ago would work perfectly.  The scale was right and it would make a statement without being too overwhelming for the space.


I kept the black "K" on the mantel for just a little something extra.  The simplified mantel decor definitely helps the wall look less busy.       



Yes, the print on the far left is being held up by tape.  I am going to talk Adam into making me a frame since it isn't a standard-size print.  And the bookcase is all kinds of crazy.  Adam and I have plans to build a larger bookcase that will provide more storage and fit the space better.  Even though there's still some work to be done, the wall is looking much better than it once did!

I solved my problem of how to pare down the mantel, but I had created a new problem.  What about the big blank space in on our bedroom wall?  

So I wandered around our house some more and ended up looking through the guest room closet that is full of random home decor items.  It's a little embarrassing how much crap I have crammed in there.  But I'm sure glad I didn't get rid of the old canvas artwork I used to have hanging in my laundry room!  It has some yellow lettering and when I saw it I knew it would tie in perfectly with the yellow-framed "The Best Is Yet To Come" artwork my mom colored for me.  I figured I could make a little grouping of artwork with some pops of yellow.  

I decided I needed one more "something" to hang with the canvas and the colored artwork.  I have seen more and more decor that is "dipped" in paint, that is the bottom half is painted an accent color.  I decided to replicate the dipped look with a wooden "K."  I bought a white "K" and some yellow craft paint at Michael's.  After taping off the bottom of the "K" with some painter's tape, I used a craft brush to swipe on some bright yellow paint.  



The mini gallery wall fills the space nicely and adds a fun pop of color.


There you have it!  A little game of musical artwork.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!