Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pinterest Project: DIY Hot Pads

Since my first Pinterest Project turned out so well, I thought I'd try another one out.  This time around, I thought I would try out a sewing project.  Try as I may, my sewing skills aren't all that great.  I can sew a straight line.  I've managed to make things like pillows, curtains and table runners.  But that's about where my sewing skills stop.  However, after stumbling across this tutorial for hot pads with hand pockets, I decided to try to up my sewing game.  

You see, I needed some new hot pads.  I've had these ugly tan ones forever.  Despite lots of trips through the washing machine, there were some stains that decided to stick around.  And they were just ugly.  I've been on the lookout for some new ones, but I couldn't seem to find any I liked for a price I was willing to pay.  When I came across the tutorial on Pinterest, I realized I could pick the fabric I liked and make it for a fraction of the cost.  



The first I thing I did was go to Jo-Ann and pick up the supplies I needed.  Bless the cute old ladies who cut fabric at Jo-Ann, but they are slow as molasses.  Waiting for my number to be called to get my fabric cut gave me plenty of time to pick out the bias tape and thread I needed.   



I followed the tutorial pretty closely, although there were a few simple changes I made.  I couldn't find any Insul-fleece, so I got Insul-Bright instead.  I think it's basically the same kind of material, but was a bit thicker.  Since it was thicker, I only used one layer between the full squares of fabric.  I thought using two layers would make it too thick and bulky.

The tutorial was very easy to follow and had lots of photos to help make the steps crystal clear.  I was very excited to stumble upon this blog.  It's chalk-full of cute sewing, craft and decor tutorials.  I will definitely be visiting this blog often!   


While my finished hot pads didn't turn out perfectly, they managed to turn out pretty decently.  I really liked the finished edge of the bias tape.  I had never used bias tape before this project and I love how easy it was to use.  


The one mistake I made was not sewing the basting stitch close enough to the edge.  That meant that the bias tape didn't cover the basting stitch.  This only happened on a few corners on the backs of the hot pads so it wasn't a huge deal.  But if I were to make any more in the future, I will make sure to sew the basting stitch closer to the edge.


These hot pads will serve many uses.  I can use them to put hot dishes on.  We use hot pads whenever we eat from hot soup bowls on the sectional in the living room.  


And the handy pockets will make taking hot pans out of the oven a breeze.  


Here's my review of the Pinterest Project: 

-Tutorial: A+
Loved this tutorial and it was super easy to follow.  I especially appreciated the photos that accompanied the written directions. 

-Level of Difficulty: B 
There were some tricky parts, like using the bias tape.  However, I am a relatively inexperienced seamstress.  I'm sure someone with more experience would find this project super easy.  Even so, it wasn't terribly difficult.  

-Finished Project: A-
I love how these hot pads turned out!  They are super cute and I love that you can coordinate them with your own kitchen decor.  I'm sure they would look even more professional if I were to try this out again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!