Monday, May 16, 2016

My Support Group Experience

After attending the Kansas City Infertility Awareness Conference, I decided to go to their monthly support meeting.  I had contacted the group leader prior to the meeting.  She gave me a head's up on the format of the meeting, so I had an idea of what to expect.  

There were about fifteen or so people in attendance.  Most were women, but there were a few husbands and other family members.  Everyone got a chance to share their story, their concerns, their fears and their hopes.  It was heartbreaking.  To hear one sad story after another was incredibly emotional.  I was very glad I had put a pack of tissues in my purse!  

If nothing else, it was nice to know that I wasn't alone.  Other people have dealt with loss and infertility. Other people have felt the anger, fear, embarrassment, sadness and utter despair that I have felt.  

I had concerns prior to going.  I feel like I am in a good place in dealing with the loss of my baby and my infertility struggles.  I worried that hearing everyone's sad stories would suck me back into my grief and depression.  I didn't want to lose the peace and hope that I have in my heart.  

I will say it was hard to talk about my story and share with others.  And it did bring up some of those old feelings.  But I am glad that I went.  I'm not sure that I will go every month or even if I will go again. However, it is nice to know that it's available.

I think it is so important to have supportive people in your life if you are dealing with loss or infertility.  It doesn't matter what form that support comes in, whether it is a support group, a friend, a therapist, an online forum, a family member or someone else who has dealt with those issues.  I know that I have greatly benefited from the many people who have shared their time with me.  If you are struggling and need some support, check out the Kansas City Infertility Awareness website for more information about their support group. 


Surround yourself with people who get it. © katie doucette polkadotmitten.com portfolio:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!