Monday, August 17, 2015

Classroom Tour

As much as I've missed teaching these past two years, I think I've missed setting up a classroom just as much! There's just something about creating a space that's all about growing a community of learners.  I'm a big believer in your environment affecting you and your productivity.  And I believe a productive classroom environment is pivotal in helping students learn.  

I had several goals for my classroom.  I wanted it to feel homey and welcoming.  I want my students to want to come to my classroom and feel like it is just as much their space as it is mine.  I wanted to reflect the wonder and whimsy that comes from reading, since I will be teaching reading this year.  And I didn't want to spend a lot of money.  Let me tell you, it is very easy to rack up the expenses when you're not careful about your classroom budget!

And so, without further ado, here's the classroom tour!  

I tried to create several different spaces or nooks within the classroom.  I have a storage nook that houses a closet and four filing cabinets.  The closet was red and didn't match anything else in the room, so I covered it with bulletin board paper and leftover border.


The next nook is what I like to call the family room nook.  It has on old couch that I covered with a new slipcover, a $5 side table (thanks, Mom!) and a $20 Walmart rug (thanks again, Mom!).  I envision kids enjoying some independent reading on the couch.  


Then there's the library nook.  This area has book shelves and reading pillows.  It also has the $20 Craigslist table that Adam refinished for me.  I'm so lucky he's so handy and so willing to do projects for my classroom for me.    



Off to the side is my desk area.  I found a $6 outdoor rug from Big Lots that I put in front of the desk and the tray I made over is sitting on the corner of the desk.    


Throughout the room I put up quotes from books.  It was free to do since I used paper that the school supplied.  It's a great way to encourage kids to read books and to cover up any unsightly spots on the wall. I also used some cute $3 wrapping paper that I found at TJ Maxx to cut out polka dots from and put around the room on the walls.  I also used the same wrapping paper as a bulletin board backdrop.       



The front of the room has a tree I decorated with Christmas lights.  Since Hobby Lobby has their Christmas decorations out, it was easy to find some.  The book page banner also hangs across the front wall.


And then there's all the little details.  Like the tins of supplies...


...and the chalkboard clothespin labels (thanks, yet again, Mom!)...


...and the chalkboard sign I found at The Dollar Spot at Target.


I can't wait to share this room with my students!  


Happy Back-to-School!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!