Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Jazzy Goes on a Play Date

While Jazzy is darn near perfect in my book, she does have one little flaw:  She doesn't do well with other dogs.  We are working on not growling and barking at dogs when we go on walks.  Jazzy is getting better. She no longer barks at the dachshunds down the street.  But some dogs still bring out Jazzy's crabby side. I don't know if she's scared of other dogs or trying to protect me or is just being rude.  I was talking about this with my Uncle Kevin, who has had many dogs.  He suggested Jazzy come visit his house and spend some time with his two dogs. 

I was always hesitant to let Jazzy be around other dogs.  I'm worried that she might get into a fight with a dog.  But letting Jazzy spend some time with my uncle's dogs was a great idea.  He has lots of experience with dogs, plus his two dogs are very sweet and I know they wouldn't try to hurt Jazzy.

This past weekend we visited my family in Columbia and made a plan to stop by my Uncle Kevin's house on the way out of town.  We started the play date out by letting Jazzy explore the backyard on her own.  She had a blast smelling all the new smells.  
      

Then we threw some chickens in the mix.  My uncle has a chicken coop with some chickens, which are actually very sweet.  They will eat from your hand and won't chase you around the yard like some people expect chickens to do.  So, my uncle let the chickens out in the yard with Jazzy.  I was a little nervous that Jazzy would try to attack them, but she couldn't have cared less about the chickens.  She paid them no attention.  



Then it was time to let the dogs out.  Kevin has two very sweet dogs.  There's a playful, rambunctious schnauzer named Gator and a loving, mellow lab named Anna.  Kevin let Anna out in the yard first since she was more on the calm side.  Jazzy did pretty well with her.  They didn't exactly play, but Jazzy was able to make a new friend.     



Next, Gator joined the party.  Jazzy wasn't as big a fan of Gator.  He was all ready to play, but Jazzy doesn't really know how to play.  She did more growling and teeth-baring towards Gator.  I think she was a bit afraid of him.  She wandered around from person to person seeking protection.  


Most of their interactions started with Gator trying to strike up some fun and Jazzy growling and then running off.  



Jazzy wasn't quite sure what to make of her first play date, but I think it was a success.  She eventually stopped growling and did enjoy exploring a new yard.  


She was definitely worn out by the end of it.  She slept the whole way home in the car.  (Yes, Jazzy wears a seat belt in the car.) 


Thank you, Kevin, Anna and Gator!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!