Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Positive Thoughts

I am thinking lots of positive thoughts right now.  I am trying to cram as many positive thoughts as possible into my life in the hopes that it will result in a successful IUI attempt.  This month will bring our 5th IUI attempt, the first one in over a year.  

In case you are curious about what exactly is involved in an IUI attempt, I thought I would present to you a little timeline:

Day 1- This is the first day of your period.  You call your doctor so they can send a prescription to the pharmacy for Clomid and estrogen.  

Day 3- You start taking Clomid.  You'll take Clomid for a total of 5 days, Cycle Days 3-7.


Day 8- You start taking estrogen.  You'll take estrogen for a total of 5 days, Cycle Days 8-12.

Day 12- You go to your doctor's office so they can do an ultrasound of your follicles.  A follicle is basically an egg sack.  Clomid stimulates your follicles so that you release 2-3 eggs during ovulation, as opposed to just one.  If the ultrasound shows some awesome follicles, then you will get a shot that triggers ovulation.  
Day 13- You come in for the actual IUI procedure.  Here is a little explanation of an IUI.  

Days 14 and on- Cross your fingers and hope for the best! 

I am also throwing a little acupuncture into the mix.  I go for a session on Day 12, the day before the IUI. More than likely, I will have electrical stimulation.  You can read all about that here.

Obviously, each woman is different and not all women follow all these steps.  But this is a pretty typical timeline.  

It sounds like a lot to do and keep track of, but I actually don't mind this part of the process.  I feel like I have some control over things and am able to do things that will hopefully increase my chances of conceiving.  The hard part is the waiting that happens after the IUI procedure to see whether or not it worked.  That part kinda sucks.  

So, I am happily accepting any and all positive thoughts, good vibes, prayers and luck you would care to send my way.  :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!