Thursday, May 21, 2015

I Survived...

...my first acupuncture session!  It turned out to be painless and I plan on going back.  

I was surprisingly nervous when I woke up this morning.  I got more and more freaked out about the thought of lots of needles being stuck in me for a lengthy time.  The receptionist had told me that the acupuncturist would likely put needles in my lower arms, legs and stomach.  She said if I wore pants that could roll up, I wouldn't need to take them off for the session.  

So I arrived early with my boot cut jeans on.  As soon as I got there, I was led to a room and told to lay on the table.  I waited for a little while and the acupuncturist came in.  We talked briefly and she did a good job of putting me at ease.  She asked me if I was stressed out about trying to get pregnant and I told her I was very much so.  She was so kind and told me not to worry because she was here to help.  

Unfortunately, she was going to have to put a needle right above my knee and my pants turned out to be too tight.  So I had to take my pants off, but there was a sheet to cover up with and I felt comfortable with the acupuncturist.  

After I was all settled, she started sticking needles in me rather quickly.  She put one in the top of my head, three in my stomach and a bunch in my legs.  I didn't really have a chance to think about what was going on because she stuck those needles in lickety split.  I didn't look at the needles because I didn't want to risk fainting or throwing up.  

I could barely feel when she put the needles in.  It didn't hurt at all.  I could only feel one of the needles on the inside of my ankle while it was in there.  Again, it didn't hurt, I could just feel that something was there.    

Then she turned off the lights and turned on some soothing music and said she would check on me in about 10 minutes.  I tried to think calming thoughts, but ended up just thinking random thoughts.  I thought about how funny it would be if the fire alarm when off and all the people in the office would have to run outside with their pants off and needles stuck all in them.  And I thought about the episode of Sex and the City when Charlotte got acupuncture.  I eventually worked up enough courage to look at my stomach.  I didn't realize that she had put three needles in there because I couldn't feel them.  I didn't want to move around too much and look at my legs in case moving around would mess something up.  

After about 10 minutes the lady came to check on me.  She popped her head in the door and said, "Don't worry.  I'm here for you.  I will help you."  It touched me so much that a little tear escaped.  So then I had to try to get my t-shirt up to my eye and wipe away the tear without jostling around too much.

She came back about 10 minutes later and took all the needles out.  Then she said she was going to put some herbs over my stomach to help encourage fertility.  She lit some herbs in a little wooden box thing and put it over my stomach.  Not gonna lie, that was a bit strange.  But she talked with me while she was doing that.  She told me about some of her other patients' success.  And she reassured me that she would help me.

It was a very positive experience and I'm very hopeful about future sessions.  I'll keep you all posted.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!