Thursday, March 23, 2017

Advice

Anyone who has ever been pregnant or is even trying to get pregnant will no doubt be bombarded with all sorts of advice.  Some of it is really, really good stuff and some of it is just plain ridiculous.
  


I've always taken any advice I get with a grain of salt, no matter the topic.  I have come to realize that just because something works for someone, it might not work for me.  But it still doesn't hurt to hear other people's ideas, because you never really know what will work for you.  It's nice to have a bank of ideas to pull from when you are stuck.  

I find I get the best advice from people who are like-minded to me.  It makes sense too.  Your personality will automatically lend itself to certain types of advice.  So I make it a point to seek out people who have similar lifestyles, beliefs and thoughts that I do.  

I have been so fortunate to have several other twin moms share what worked and what didn't for them.  I get the idea that having two newborns at once is just different than having one.  So it's been nice to get an insider's view of what it's really like.  (Huge shout out to Katie, Jennifer and Bre!)  

There are also moms of singletons who also have given me sound advice and I am grateful to them for sharing their insights.  (Thanks Emily!)

I've also found it helpful to talk with women who are currently pregnant.  There's just something about being in the pregnancy trenches that helps you connect with others.  (I appreciate you ladies: Morgan and Jennifer!)

I'm also not afraid to ask random strangers.  To be perfectly honest, I chose the car seats we ended up getting because a lady in Babies R Us said that's what she was getting.  I asked her why she liked them and she sold me on them.  I also recently asked a lady at the grocery store what kind of wrap she was using. She was more than happy to tell me about it and why she chose it.  I find that most people are more than willing to share.

Not all advice is wanted or helpful.  There are definitely times I find myself politely smiling even though I am thinking, I would sooner die than do that.  But I try to remind myself that people are sharing with the intention of being helpful.  And I can appreciate that sentiment.    

Perhaps the best advice I've gotten so far was from my mom.  I was talking with her about how overwhelming it is to try to figure out everything I need to get and everything I need to learn before the twins arrive.  She reminded me that Adam and I aren't stupid and that we have common sense and will be able to figure things out on our own.  It was definitely a nice reminder and helped put things into perspective.  (Thanks, Mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!