Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Nursery Plans

I am beyond excited to be getting the nursery together!  I adore doing projects around the house and the fact that this project is for our two babies is beyond exciting!  And let me tell you, this nursery is going to be pretty darn cute. 

Even before we found out we were having a boy and a girl, I had my heart set on painting the walls a bright, cheery green.  We started out with the idea of going with a light, neutral gray, so we got some paint samples in all the popular grays out there.  I am just not a gray person.  I think gray walls look amazing in other people's homes, but not mine.  I am a big fan of dark, bold colors.  Our dining room is teal, our bedroom is dark blue, our living room is chocolate brown, and our front door is bright blue.  I just need a little color in my life.  



 

So then I latched onto this green idea because it could work with both boys and girls.  And I wanted something dark and rich.  I feel like a darker color will make the room more conducive to sleeping.  I know the dark blue walls in our bedroom help make it feel cozy and calm.  I think green will do the same while the babies are sleeping.  On the flip side, I think it will be a fun color while the babies are awake. Plus, I like the idea and and I will happily be spending A LOT of time in there.  We have yet to narrow down the exact shade of green, but I'll be sure to let you know when we figure it out.    


(Big shout out to The DIY Playbook for sharing how to create mood boards!  Thanks!)

Another reason we think a bold color will work in the space is because of all the white that will be going on in the room to offset the dark boldness.  Adam has already installed a gorgeous white plank ceiling and is working on adding crown molding.  We plan to paint the baseboards, window trim and closet doors white, as well.  The white and the green will help each other pop!  

(Here's a funny side story: One of Adam's aunts asked him what the theme of the nursery would be and he said he didn't know what to say.  He told me he thought maybe "craftsman," since we were adding the wood plank ceiling and crown molding.  That made me laugh.  I had to explain to him that nursery themes typically are things like "Dr. Seuss" or "safari."  I'm not quite sure what our theme will be, but I think we should call it "craftsman" in honor of Adam's woodworking mind.)   

So far my sweet parents (soon to be grandparents!) bought the cribs.  (Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!) Adam was actually the one to find these beauties.  He wanted to find cribs that were made of solid wood and had a nontoxic finish.  Furniture made out of MDF or other manufactured materials often are made of glue and finishes that have all sorts of chemicals in them.  At first I was annoyed that we would have to pick out something that fit this rigid criteria and I was certain it would cost a fortune.  But Adam found the DaVinci brand which features solid New Zealand pine, a nontoxic finish, it's lead and phthalate free, and is GREENGUARD Gold Certified for low chemical emissions.  It also meets all the current safety standards and had really good reviews.  Besides all that, it's cute!  And I do feel better knowing that our cribs are as safe as can be for our babies.  (Good work, Adam!  You will be a fantastic dad who will always have our babies' safety in mind, which I love you for!)  We both agreed the gray finish would look nice with the white and green we intend to fill the nursery with eventually.  

Once we get the basic shell of the nursery completed, then I can have some fun adding whimsical artwork, curtains and other finishing touches.  While I'm not sure of all the details right now, I do know it's going to be adorable and we're going to have a blast creating it for our babies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!