Thursday, March 16, 2017

First Trimester

I am so very happy to be into my second trimester now!  The risk of miscarriage goes down considerably after you make it past your first trimester, so that's a big relief.  I am starting to feel less exhausted, which is nice.  And my belly is starting to look very pregnant, which is fun!  

I thought it would be fun to take a look back at my first trimester.  Here it is in picture form: 
   



*Yes, I wrote down the wrong year for the six and seven week photos.  Whoops!
**I know I am facing the wrong way in my ten week photo, but my hair looked better from that side.

And here are four random, fun facts about my first trimester: 

1. I've only been craving two things: chocolate ice cream and/or frozen custard and Lion's Choice roast beef sandwiches.  Lion's Choice is a St. Louis based chain that is similar to Arby's, but way better.  They have delicious fries and this magically, delectable seasoning that they put on their roast beef sandwiches. Here's the problem:  There are no Lion's Choice restaurants in Kansas City!!!  There used to be two in Columbia, but they never caught on so they closed.  So I've had to improvise.  I go get an Arby's roast beef sandwich and then sprinkle on some of the seasoning I stockpiled the last time I was in St. Louis and hit up a Lion's Choice.  It's not the same, but it's better than nothing!  But I've depleted my stockpile of seasoning. I guess I'll just have to plan a trip to St. Louis soon!    
  
2. Back when I was in college, I got a tattoo of a horseshoe right above my hipbone on my stomach.  It looked far better when my stomach was flat.  While my stomach hasn't been flat for quite some time, it's certainly getting bigger each week now that I'm pregnant.  And each week the horseshoe gets closer and closer to laying down on its side.  It's pretty funny, but I'll spare you any photographic evidence.  

3. I teach middle school reading, so my students are sixth, seventh and eighth graders.  I decided to break the news to them by having them read an article about twins and then telling them there's a teacher who's pregnant with twins and asked them to guess who.  Very few guessed me, which was pretty entertaining. My favorite conversation went like this: 

Student: My neighbors are twins.   
Me: Oh, really?!
Student: Yeah, they fight all the time.  
Me: Oh, that's not good.  
Student:  But I'm sure yours won't.  They will be good kids because you'll be a good mom.  

I had to try really, really hard not to cry.  I think only one or two tears slipped out... 

4.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and am STARVING!  I keep a baggie of saltines in my nightstand drawer for these instances so I can have a snack but not have to get out of bed.  So at two or three in the morning, I'll pull out my baggie of saltines. Opening the bag always wakes up Jazzy.  Her little head pops up from wherever she's laying and she immediately comes towards the crackers.  So I give Jazzy a little piece or two since she's keeping me company.  Adam never wakes up.  I think it's pretty funny that Jazzy and I have a little midnight snack from time to time and Adam doesn't hear a thing!  You'd think all that baggie-rustling and cracker-crunching would stir him from his slumber.  But, no.  This is probably not a good sign for when the babies arrive...

I can't wait to see what the second trimester will bring!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!