Friday, March 24, 2017

What Everyone Says After You Tell Them You're Having Twins

Nothing has brought me more happiness than to be able to tell people I am pregnant with twins!  And all the responses from everyone have been so overwhelmingly sweet!

I am starting to look very pregnant, even though I'm only 16 weeks along.  I guess that's what happens when there are two babies in your belly!  Because I am starting to show, I've had quite a few people ask me if I'm expecting.  While I would never be so bold as to ask someone if they are pregnant, as I explained in this post, I actually don't mind when people ask me now that I actually am pregnant.  


The fun part comes when I get to not only say that I am indeed pregnant, but that I am pregnant with twins!  

The first thing people normally say is some version of "Oh my goodness!" or "Wow!" or "You'll have your hands full!"  I guess it takes a moment to process that there are two babies brewing in my belly.  

The next question I get asked by people who aren't aware of the infertility struggles Adam and I have been through and the fact that we conceived via IVF, is "Do twins run in your family?"  While Adam's grandma is a twin, apparently the father's side of the family has no bearing on the likelihood of twins.  It all has to do with the mother's side.  There are some very distant relatives of mine who are twins that were named Max and Rex, but I have no idea how they are related to me.  I don't think it really counts when they are that far up the family tree.  So I always answer with a no and say that we did IVF.  

I have found that some twin parents get really fired up about this question.  Even though I think most people are merely asking to continue the conversation, some people have the underlying question of "Did you do some sort of fertility treatment?"  The question doesn't bother me at all, especially since my fertility issues are an open book blog.  But I know some people keep their fertility struggles very private and can see why some people might be offended by it.    

People usually end things with some form of "Good luck!"  It doesn't always seem to be sincere.  Obviously going through a twin pregnancy and raising twins will be one heck of a job.  But it's the most exciting job I can dream up and I am so, so excited it's in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!