Thursday, March 9, 2017

IVF: Twins!

After the 3 blood tests, the next step was to go to my fertility clinic for an ultrasound at 6 weeks.  This ultrasound was partly to confirm the pregnancy and also to make sure everything was measuring within the normal limits.  

As soon as we found out we were pregnant, Adam started saying we were having twins.  I decided to play along.  I don't think I really believed there was more than one baby in there, but I didn't want to spoil his fun.  

So when the 6 week mark rolled around, January 6, 2017, we headed to the fertility clinic for our ultrasound.  I had Googled how much you could tell from a 6 week ultrasound, because I was curious.  I happened to notice that if there are twins, you can see two different egg sacs (as long as they are not identical and sharing the same egg sac).

So as soon as the ultrasound showed up on the screen, before the nurse even said anything, I saw two different egg sacs.  The nurse confirmed it by saying, "Well, there are two in there!"  



Adam didn't really seem all that surprised since he had been saying there were two in there all along.  I was a bit more surprised, but so incredibly happy!  

We went back two weeks later at the 8 week mark to check for their heartbeats.  And we were greeted with two strong heartbeats!  One was 179 beats per minute and the other was 171 beats per minute. Seeing the heartbeats really made it real for me.  Those little flickers on the ultrasound screen were beautiful!  



After that appointment I was released to my ob/gyn.  It was a little sad to say goodbye to our fertility clinic doctor and nurses.  They played such an important role in our lives and we will never be able to fully thank them for all that they have done for us.  If you are close to the Kansas City area, and need some fertility help, Dr. Brabec at Reproductive Resource Center is the doctor to see!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!