Monday, June 8, 2015

3 Random Tidbits About Acupuncture

I've had quite a few acupuncture sessions by now and I am becoming more comfortable with each session. I am maintaining my hope that it will result in a healthy pregnancy.  Having been stuck with lots of needles by now, I thought I'd share some random tidbits about acupuncture.

1. You will feel strangely relaxed after an acupuncture session.

The last thing I thought I would feel after lots of needles were stuck in my body for an extended period of time was relaxed, but that's exactly how I feel.  It's the same sleepy, floaty feeling you get after a massage.  I guess that's a big reason acupuncture helps with easing your worries and helps your stress dissipate.  I always feel great after a session.    

2. If you have needles in your back, DO NOT move your head! 

Recently, Mary has put some needles in my back.  She asks me to lay on my stomach and then puts several in my lower and middle back.  I think these needles might be a little bigger than the ones she uses on my front side or maybe she just puts them in deeper.  I seem to feel them going in a bit more.  Once they're in, I can't feel them...except for the one time I moved my head.  I had been facing one direction and decided my neck was getting sore, so I lifted up my head and turned it the other direction.  That was a mistake.  As soon as I lifted up my head, I could feel my muscles tense up and I could have told you exactly where each and every needle was in my back.  It wasn't horribly painful, but it wasn't pleasant either.  So I would highly recommend staying very still until the needles are out. 

3. The needles are very, very long.

The thought of needles in my body scares me to begin with, which I why I had to work up some courage before I could actually look at the needles when they were in my body.  After I finally took a peek, I was surprised to find that they were pretty long.  They were about two inches long.  The longer the needle, the scarier, in my opinion!  I'm not really sure why they are so long, but it seems to me they wouldn't be as intimidating if they weren't so long!  

There you have it.  Three random tidbits from me to you.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!