Monday, October 19, 2015

Just Don't Think About It

Dealing with infertility includes getting lots of advice from people.  I know all of the people who have given me advice mean well and want only to offer me some bits of wisdom.  The most common piece of advice I get from people is: Just don't think about.  

Again, I know that this advice comes from the heart and with the kindest of intentions.  But it's just plain stupid.

I'm sure people going through struggles of all kinds get this same piece of advice and I'm sure they would agree 100% with me.  Sure, it would be fantastic if I could not think about getting pregnant, even for just one day.  But it's impossible.  Trying to not think about something is the same exact thing as thinking about something.  The thing you are thinking/trying not to think about is still swirling around your brain, regardless of your stance on it.  

If there is some infertile lady out there who has figured out how to not think about getting pregnant, I would love to know the secret.  Anyone out there?  Anyone?  

The advice is good in theory.  IF I could manage to not think about getting pregnant, my life really would be a lot more enjoyable.  But I'm not convinced that it's possible.  

I've tried all kinds of things to trick my mind into not thinking about getting pregnant.  But I am just not very talented.  Besides, it's really hard to not think about getting pregnant when I'm supposed to take infertility supplements each day, take ovulation tests each morning, check my cervical mucus, eat a healthy diet, get enough exercise, make sure I have sex when I am ovulating, have sex when I'm not ovulating just to be safe, make sure my hips are elevated for at least 15 minutes after I have sex, get acupuncture treatments...and so on and so forth.  

I have no idea why it's so hard to not think about getting pregnant!    

To bring a lighthearted end to this post, enjoy this funny checklist I found: 


Funny Infertility Checklist   This Really made me LOL!!! unfortunately too true. would have been helpful to give out though:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!