Saturday, October 10, 2015

Switcheroo

I was sitting in my living room the other day and realized I wanted to change some things up.  I've been trying to talk Adam into building some built-ins next to our fireplace.  I think I almost have him convinced, but that will take some time and moolah.  So I started to think about some simple changes I could make that would hold me over until built-ins make it into our living room.  

One thing that has been bugging me is our mantel decor.  It kinda looks like I just threw a bunch of stuff up there with no rhyme or reason.  


So, I decided to change things up.  I wanted to simplify what was going on up there.  The first step was to clear everything off.  I also took a moment to dust and clear out some cobwebs.  I guess it had been a while since I had done that!  


I decided which items I wanted to keep on the mantel and set those aside.  I decided to hang the portrait of Jazzy in our hallway and our Kral family sign in a different spot in the living room.  There were a few leftover items that I stuck in my guest bedroom closet, which is where I keep random decor items.  Then I "shopped my house."  I wandered around from room to room looking for items that I might want to put on the mantel.  Once I had a pile of possibilities, I started to sort through them to decide which items were keepers.  Jazzy always thinks she's the perfect accessory, and I have to agree.    


One of the items I found in my basement was a taller vase.  I decided to put some sticks in there to add a bit of height.  Plus, it would be free!  So I perused my yard looking for sticks.  There always seem to be plenty of those lurking in my yard.  


I stuck a bunch of sticks in the vase and then decided it looked like I had just stuck a bunch of sticks in a vase.  Not exactly the look I was going for.  So I looked at some images on Pinterest to figure out how other people make sticks in vases look glamorous.  

The glamorous vase of sticks look seems to follow these rules:
1. Use sticks of similar lengths and widths.
2. Use shears to keep the ends nice and trimmed. 
3. Cut off any smaller twigs that branch off the main stick.  
4. The more you have, the better.  
5. Use sticks that are dry and check for bugs before bringing them inside.  

After following those rules, my vase was looking a lot more put together.  


Then I brought my vase inside and went to work placing things on my mantel.  I put the tree branch picture in the center, which ties in nicely with the vase of sticks.  The $5 clearance "do all things with love" canvas artwork sits in between the vase and tree branch picture.  I feel like the tones in the artwork go together better than the artwork I had previously put on my mantel.  I also used my brass elephant and giraffe as bookends.  I have seen more and more books turned so the pages are visible and I really like the look.  Plus, you can use any book you like, even if the titles are embarrassing.  I also included a few little trinkets, like the "K" and the cute "love you to the moon and back" sign Jazzy gave to me for Mother's Day (with a little help from my mom).

I think the new look is much less cluttered.  It lets all the pieces stand out on their own, while still looking good as a whole.    


Then I turned my attention to the rug under our ottoman.  I don't feel like it goes very well with our new sectional or our ottoman.  It's too modern and geometric.  Plus, it's not the right size for the space.  


I have been searching for a rug to replace it, but haven't had much luck.  It dawned on me that I didn't have to keep a rug I didn't like in our living room until we found a replacement.  I could just move it to the basement right now!  And that's what I did.  I actually kind of like it better without a rug.  I might just decide to keep the living room rug-less.  


Of course, if the right rug came along at the right price, I'd bring it home in a heartbeat.  But now I don't feel like I need to be on the lookout for a rug.  I can enjoy our living room as is. 

Isn't it nice that making a few small, FREE changes can make you fall back in love with your home?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!