Monday, May 4, 2015

Grow, Garden, Grow!

It's garden time!  After a long day's work, my garden is officially ready to grow.  

Here's what I had to work with: 


It was a weedy mess.  I got a bunch of leaves, helicopters (I hate those stupid things with a passion) and leaves out of there.  Then I tilled up the dirt so it was nice and loose.  From there, I planted an herb garden on one side and filled in the other side with some more perennials.  

I decided to plant herbs because that's the only thing that seems to grow well in that spot.  We have lots of big trees, which means the garden doesn't get a lot of sun.  We've had luck with cilantro, basil and arugula in the past, so I planted those again.  This year I added spearmint and parsley to the mix.  

I also added some zinnias to the very end of the herb garden.  My dad gave me the seeds from his own flowers.  They are always gorgeous and I really hope they grow.  I put them in the corner that gets the most sun, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I end up with some pretty flowers.  

Here it is all planted up: 


On the other side of the garden, we have several perennials.  We already had irises, peonies, daylillies and hostas.  There was also some kind of plant with little yellow flowers that popped up this year.  It might be a weed, but it was pretty enough so I let it stay. 

I added more hostas... 


...some pretty purple flowering plant that I don't know the name of...


...and calla lillies.


Now I just have to hope that the rabbits don't eat everything.  I will put Jazzy on patrol.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!