Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Easy Peasy Table Runner

I adore the table linens in our dining room, but if we ever want to play any games or turn our table into a makeshift desk we have to move them out of the way.  It's a pain and takes time.  

One solution I came up with was to make a table runner and put something cute in the center of the table as opposed to all around the edges of the table.  I figured making a table runner would be as simple as making a pillow case, minus the pesky stuffing step.    

So I headed to Jo-Ann's with my coupons and found some cute patterned fabric


I cut my fabric so the runner was about a foot wide and ran the length of my table.  I wanted it to hang down about 5 inches on each side so I made my cuts accordingly.  Of course, you'll want to use dimensions to fit your own table if you are going to try this for yourself.

My sewing machine decided to cooperate, which doesn't always happen.  I sewed three sides together, wrong sides touching.  


Then I turned my fabric right-side out.  At this point, it was looking like a really long pillowcase.  

The last step was to use iron-on hem tape to seal the fourth side shut.  I could have just run it through the sewing machine, but I didn't want the seam to show.  And I didn't want to press my luck with my finicky sewing machine. 


 

Here's the finished project!  It's simple, but the bold pattern makes a statement.  


Now all I need is a centerpiece.  Hmmm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!