Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Cheery Monogram Wreath

I decided my front door needed a bit more cheer, so I whipped up a cheery monogram wreath.  I made it using materials I had on hand, so it didn't cost me a thing!  You can whip one up yourself in no time at all.  

Here's what you need:



-A wooden letter
-Ribbon 
-Two paint colors of your choice (I used pearl white and teal.)
-Small craft paint brush
-Foil
-Two thumbtacks
-Scrap cardboard
-Hammer

The first thing I did was lay out a piece of foil.  This will serve as my painting backdrop.  

Then I painted the outside edge of my wooden letter with three coats of paint.  The white pearl paint I used was a bit transparent, so it needed three coats.  Depending on the type of paint you use, you may only need one or two coats.  I only painted the outside of the shape, because I planned to use the other paint color on the inside. 



Once my outside paint was dry, I carefully painted the inside of the wooden letter with my other paint color.  I didn't try to make my outline perfect, I just eyeballed it and hoped for the best.  


After all the paint dried, I tied my ribbon in a bow.  Then I attached the ends of the bow to the top of my letter using the thumbtacks.  Normally, I would use a staple gun, but I couldn't find where Adam hid it in the garage.  So I decided to use thumbtacks instead.  I placed a piece of cardboard that I folded several times in between the letter and the thumbtack so the end of the thumbtack wouldn't poke through the front of the letter.  I used a hammer to help push the thumbtack into the dense wooden letter.  


The only thing left to do was hang it on my front door.  I like the combination of the bold ribbon with the simple paint job.  It definitely brings a bit more cheer to the front of my house.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!