Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Little Old Lady Fixed My Jeans

I really miss how jeans used to be made.  They used to stay up and you didn't have to awkwardly yank on them all day long.  I blame spandex.  I understand the lure of spandex.  It promises comfort and the ability to do high kicks at any time.  And when you put your jeans on in the morning, they do have a comfortable fit.  But by the end of the day all you are left with is a loose waistband and a saggy butt.  

While I can't find jeans that don't have some percentage of spandex, I think I have found a way around the problem.  My way around the problem is a little old lady named Yong.  I found her by searching for a seamstress on Google.  I picked her because her shop was close to my house and I could stop by on my way home from school and not be too late letting Jazzy outside.  

After walking around the side of a strip mall to a shady basement entrance, I entered her shop.  When I walked in I saw racks and mounds of clothes and a head full of gray hair behind a sewing machine.  

Here was my conversation with Yong:

Me: Hello!

Yong: What you have?

Me: I have a pair of jeans.  

Yong: You want hem?

Me: No, I need the waist to be smaller. 

Yong: Go put on and come back out. (Pointing to a back room)

I went into the back room and put on the jeans, while trying not to step on any of the pins strewn about the floor.  When I came out, Yong went right to work pinning the waist of my jeans.  I didn't have to say how I wanted them to fit or what needed fixing.  She just knew what needed to be done.  

$19 bucks and a week later I picked up my jeans.  Let me tell you, they fit like a glove.  At first I thought the price might be a little steep, but it is well worth it not to have to pull up my jeans all day long.  And you can't even tell where she altered them.  



(I promise my butt is not as big as this picture makes it seem.)  

I just might have to bring Yong more jeans to fix.  She's my new favorite person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!