Saturday, May 2, 2015

I Have to Cook Dinner Again?

Growing up, my dad did all the cooking.  And he is a wonderful cook!  My brother inherited all the cooking genes and didn't leave any for me.  I am not a good cook.  I can follow a basic recipe, but that's about it. Even if I try to make some of my dad's recipes, they never turn out as well as they would have had my dad made it.  That being said, I do make a valiant effort to make edible meals for Adam and I to eat each evening.  There are a few things I do that help keep me organized and sane while cooking.    

Weekly Menu  

Each Sunday, I write down the meals I plan to make each evening throughout the upcoming week.  I write down what we'll be having each day and stick the magnetic list on our refrigerator.  That way I remember what to make each evening and Adam can get a head's up.  I use the back side of last week's paper to write down my grocery list to save paper.


I like that I don't have to spend time each evening trying to decide what to make for dinner.  It also helps me know exactly what to buy at the grocery store.  I check out the weekly ads and try to make meals using ingredients that are on sale.  

Meal Ideas 

If I were the only person I had to cook for, I would eat the same five meals every week.  But since most people, including Adam, like a little variety in their meals, I try to switch things up.  One thing that has helped is to make a list of my go-to meals.  These are meals that I know how to make and have turned out in the past.  

So when I'm trying to come up with meal ideas, I can look at my list for help.  It has helped save me time on Sundays when I'm trying to come up with my weekly menu.  



Recipe Binder

I got this handy little recipe binder at Hallmark.  Here's a similar one in a different design.  I like it because you can write down your favorite recipes on the cards, or you can clip in recipes from magazines or recipes printed off Pinterest.  I like to have a paper recipe and not use my laptop or Kindle.  I'm always afraid I will dump a pot of boiling water on them and ruin them.  



One of the things on my summer to do list is to re-write all my recipes on the recipe cards, or print them out so they will fit in the plastic sleeves.  My binder is looking a little cluttered with all the randomly sized pieces of paper stuck in there.  

Crock Pot Meals

I love my crock pot.  I love that I don't have to "cook" when I use it.  I just have to throw everything in the crock pot.  And it's so nice to have a meal ready for you when you come home from work.  AND there's usually leftovers, which is like a free dinner that you don't have to cook!  

I bet you can guess that my favorite dinners are ones at restaurants.  Or ones that my dad or brother have cooked.  

Hopefully these tips will help make planning and cooking dinner a little bit easier.  Bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!