Friday, July 24, 2015

The Painting Itch

It's been a little while since Adam and I have painted any rooms in our house.  When we first moved into our house, we painted nearly every wall.  Part of me wishes that we had left some spaces "undone," because I have the painting itch now.  My target is the kitchen.  



Don't get me wrong.  The color we chose for the kitchen and family room is a lot better than the color it was when we moved in.  We chose the warm, almost orangesicle-ish color to tie all the finishes in our kitchen together.  We didn't have the time or money to change everything in the kitchen when we moved in.  We did have hardwood flooring installed and switched out the backsplash.  However, we kept the cabinets and counter top the same.  But given the chance to re-paint it, I would pick a different color.

I causally mentioned re-painting the kitchen to Adam recently and was pleasantly surprised that he wouldn't mind changing up the color.  We talked about different color options and both decided a light gray color would be perfect.  It would work with the counter top and backsplash, but still change things up.

So, I perused blogs and paint chips to come up with the perfect color.  Let me tell you, gray is a very tricky color.  We looked at roughly one million paint chips.  I had no idea that finding a gray would be so difficult.  All the samples we looked at were too purple or too blue.  Some grays had too much green in them, while others had too much brown.  

But I think we may have found a winner.  We had Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter color-matched in a sample at Home Depot.  If I could offer only one tip for home ownership, it would be to always get a paint sample before you commit to painting an entire room.  We would have some ugly rooms if we hadn't sampled all the paint colors in our house.

We painted a patch of our wall in the kitchen that is under a picture.  That way we can cover up the patch until we are ready to paint.  We think it's the perfect gray for our kitchen.    


Now that we have the color picked out, we just have to wait for a paint sale and the time to paint it.  I'm very excited!      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!