Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bathroom Shelf Reveal

My very talented husband Adam started working on a bathroom shelf project a little while ago.  He finished up this weekend and we got to put it up.  It was a very exciting time!  

Here's what we had going on in the bathroom:





Not terrible, but we could do better.  So Adam got busy and cranked out some beautiful shelving.  Once it was built, Adam let me decide where to hang it.  Then he used measuring tapes, levels and rulers to make sure it was precisely centered.  I'm glad he knows how to use all those tools, because I sure don't know how!  

After taking off the old shelving, drawing some guidelines, and making a few test holes to find the studs, our wall was looking a little rough.  


Luckily, the new shelving was big enough to cover up all but one hole.  I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to get rid of the pencil lines and a little Spackle and touch-up paint to fill that hole.  No one will ever know what's behind our shelving.  Shhh...don't tell.  

My favorite moment of the whole hanging up the shelving process was when Adam touched a screw that he had just tried to drill in the wall.  It was nice and hot and Adam said some version of hot + shit, which sounded a little something like, "HA-SHIT!"  He always makes me laugh.  Of course, laughing at my sweet husband who just built me something with his very own two hands is not very nice.  Sometimes you just can't help it.

Anyways, here it is: 


Isn't it gorgeous?  I love that it looks pretty, but it also serves as functional storage.  


Allow me to give you a little tour of each shelf. 


-Glass lantern full of extra bar soap (Target, $3)
-Pumice stone/nail brush (TJ Maxx, $2)
-Shell from the beach in Gulf Shores that my mom found (Free!)


-Washcloths (TJ Maxx, $9)
-Glass Sand dollar (Souvenir from Gulf Shores, $4)


-Glass jar w/ shells and candle (already had it, can't remember where I got it from)
-Sand castle picture holder (have had it forever, got it on clearance for a buck or two at Kohl's a long time ago)
-Life's a Beach sign (whipped it up myself and printed it on leftover scrapbook paper, so free)
-Shell (Free)


-Glass jars with cork toppers (TJ Maxx, $4 for a set of 3)


-Sea-themed book (Red Racks, $0.50)
-Candle (already had it)
-Leftover vase from my wedding with shells (Free)


-Glass container w/ cork lid, filled with sand and shells (Container was $0.25 at a garage sale, sand and shells were free from the beach)
-Brass anchor (Hobby Lobby, maybe $3-ish)

I was able to use lots of stuff I already had, which helped keep the price of the project down.  Adam used a lot of wood that he found in the clearance lumber bin from Home Depot and wood left over from other projects.  

I love that it houses extra soap, washcloths, cotton balls and Q-tips for guests.  Yet, it still manages to be pleasing to look at.  I can't wait to see what Adam builds me next!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!