Sunday, March 1, 2015

Ekby!

The first trip my husband Adam and I took to IKEA was slightly overwhelming.  We only made it to the showroom.  We didn't even know the marketplace existed until our second trip.  I wanted to buy everything I saw, so needless to say, I ended up buying nothing.  

We got a bit smarter the second time around and went with a mission in mind.  I decided our laundry room wasn't pretty enough to do laundry in.  Since Adam would rather not do laundry, he agreed with me.  So I talked him into going to IKEA to look at the EKBY brackets and shelves.  I heart these brackets!  I love how the brackets aren't obtrusive and create a nice, streamlined shelf.   

Of course we didn't leave IKEA with just the shelves.  Adam probably figured this out as soon as I walked in and saw a giant bin of wooden hangers.  He's such a good sport.  I decided our coat closet in our entryway needed a bit of sprucing up, so we switched out our mismatched plastic hangers for fancy wooden hangers.



Back to the shelves.  Adam and his mathematical mind figured out how to to install them so they were evenly spaced.  I like the ol' eyeball it method, but when Adam's a part of the project, we have to do things the right way.  Which means any project he's a part of usually turns out better than when it's just me. 


After getting all that pesky measuring out of the way, installing the shelves were actually pretty simple.  Since the location I wanted the shelves put up didn't hit any studs, we used drywall anchors to keep them nice and secure.  Throughout the whole project, I would shout out, "Ekby!" whenever I saw it written on any of the packaging.  It really is a pretty addictive word and I'm sure I drove Adam crazy, but it kept me entertained.  




Once those bad boys were up, the fun part started!  I could put pretty things on the shelves!  Adam asked if I wanted his help and I kindly told him "styling" the shelves would be my job.  





The gorgeous, generous art freebies found here and here give the shelves a bit of whimsy.  
Our laundry room can officially be called pretty now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts!